Should I get a Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zelcro, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Zelcro macrumors newbie

So I'm going to Uni next year to study some form of Computing and I'll need a laptop so I've been thinking of getting a Macbook.
    Is it worth paying the extra for a Macbook or should I stick to a standard laptop?
    I've been looking at the 2010 Macbook Pro models with around 4GB RAM which I'd upgrade to 8GB
    I'll be using the laptop for programming, coding, web design, light gaming and general use
    Any points of view would help :)

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If you feel like you could benefit from OS X then get a Mac. If not, perhaps a Windows laptop is a better choice. Would there be any specific software that you need to run on either platform?

3. Zelcro thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think there would be anything too demanding, I would just need basic word processing software, possibly Adobe Suite and a few others
    I've always used windows so I'd have to get used to Mac OS but from what I've seen the MBP seems like a powerful laptop

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If just basic stuff and all of your other software will work with OS X - why not? If you have the extra funds, give it a try.

5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I'd go with newer than a 2010; not that it isn't enough power today, but you will likely end up replacing it much sooner than if you had instead bought an Early 2011, a Late 2011, or a Mid 2012, especially with the differences between Core 2 and Sandy/Ivy Bridge Core i5/i7. But yeah, MacBook Pros (especially the Unibody non-retina variety) are rad; very good computers, let alone laptops, let alone Mac laptops. I say go for it.