Should I get a magic mouse?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karohan, Dec 12, 2010.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

I currently own a Macbook Pro and I love the touchpad. So much, in fact, that I mostly prefer it to mice. The killer feature, in my opinion, is the multitouch, and with BetterTouchTool, I cannot live without my custom gestures. That being said, there are certain times, like in Photoshop, where a physical mouse is more effective. Yet, I still don't want to lose the functionality of all my BetterToolGestures.
    I would like to get a mouse and I was wondering if I should get a Magic Mouse. Its multitouch surface can be customized with BetterTouchTool as well, so I don't have to worry about losing functionality. But I am worried about two things:

1. Ergonomics - I can figure out if I like its feel by playing around with it at the Apple Store, but unless I use it for a good amount of time, I won't know how it'll treat my wrists. I've heard its much better to use your fingertips to move the mouse as opposed to your palm, and I'm pretty flexible in that regard, but I just don't want my wrists sore after usage.

2. Battery consumption - I have heard that this mouse EATS batteries. Whats the most cost effective way to deal with this? Should I get rechargeables? I read somewhere that rechargeables will be consumed to fast to be practical.

If I don't get a Magic Mouse, I could still maintain functionality I guess. I could use a standard mouse with my right hand and then place my left hand on the trackpad of my Macbook Pro to perform gestures. I'll have a hand for the mouse and a hand for the gestures, but I'm not sure how practical that is actuality.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the magic mouse takes some time to get used too, but it is a great mouse. U would need to buy the apple charger/rechargeable batteries so that you don't have to worry about them.

3. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

If I use rechargeable batteries, how long would each recharge last?

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

it of course depends how much u use it, but probably around a month or longer.

5. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh thats not too bad, I was hearing like I would need to charge it every couple of days. Does it automatically go into a power-saving/standby mode or something if I don't use it?

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah it should go to sleep after a certain period.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I bought the Magic Mouse the day it came out. I like it a lot, I also have the Magic Trackpad. I use the trackpad more for everyday use but the mouse for more serious computing. I father also bought a Magic Mouse but he hates it because he says it is way too small for his hands. So if you don't have large hands I would recommend it.

8. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

I was very much on the fence about the Magic Mouse (especially after hearing all the kvetching here on MR and mediocre reviews on apple.com).

After using it with a MBP for about 4 months, I'm delighted with it.

My MBP isn't my primary computer, so it gets only light use, but haven't needed to change batteries yet (even after accidentally leaving the mouse on a few times overnight--it must deactivate itself).

The corners were a weird ergonomic decision by Apple, which I thought I'd probably hate, but they really don't bother me even after a couple hours of use. If you love your multi-touch trackpad, you'll love the multi-touch mouse as much. (and even if you don't like it, they have good resale value on ebay)

9. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, honestly, that's the primary reason I want the magic mouse. I can't live without my gestures. The fact that bettertouchtool supports the magic mouse is a biggie too.

As a sidenote, UTclassof89, is that University of Texas or Tennessee? If thats Texas, are you as bummed as I am about Muschamp leaving?

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is the bettertouchtool check for update server down? I've been getting no respond from it.

BTT works great on the magic mouse by the way.

11. UTclassof89 macrumors 6502

UTclassof89

The T is Texas, and no, I must not be as bummed (because I don't know who or what a Muschamp is :eek:)

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I've been using my magic mouse since the day it came out last October(?). It's been serving me well, so yes, you should get one too.

13. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha I'm actually not a UT alum/student, but a UT sports fan (funny how that works, eh?) and he was the football team's defensive coordinator and clear successor to the current head coach, Mack Brown, who was going to retire very soon. Anyway, he got picked up at Florida to be their head coach.

I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one. I'm just worried because this is the most I've spent on a peripheral and I hope it doesn't crap out on me (or that Apple doesn't release a new mouse real soon).

I'm surprised there are no other multitouch mouses available.

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If you are that worried, which is understandable, I would look around for a cheap used one. Check the marketplace thing here on MacRumors.

15. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I got that too...thats interesting because I feel like I checked recently and it told me that there are no updates at this time.

And that's great to hear! BTT compatibility was a must because the gestures that come out of the box with the Magic Mouse in comparison are anemic.

16. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think I'm eligible to see the Marketplace forum on MacRumors yet (not at 250 posts/180 days). I could check out eBay, but I'm more wary of spending 30-40 bucks on a used mouse that may fail sooner and will have less support. I'd rather spend 70 and have the 1 year warranty. I'm not afraid of not liking the mouse, as much as I'm just afraid of it failing.

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If your just afraid of it failing then I would just buy it. Apple has been good, for me, at replacing defective products. I haven't had to replace my Magic Mouse but I have had every generation of iPhone replaced at least twice, except for the iPhone 4, without problem.

18. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

The problem with the magic mouse, at least from my point of view, is it's tracking speed is slow. I like rapid and substantial cursor movement with little movement of the mouse. I miss that from my windows PC days.

Does BestTouch Tool work well with the latest iteration of Snow Leopard to speed up that cursor movement with the mouse?

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

The Magic Mouse is okay. With BetterTouchTool however, it is... magic.
    Certainly check out Amazon. I got mine second hand (but pristine) for £15.

20. arnop macrumors regular

arnop

I love magic mouse, I prefer it to any other mouse available out there !

21. karohan thread starter macrumors 6502

I have that same feeling with the Apple trackpad. I love it but it tracks too slow, even at the highest setting. Fortunately, you can edit a .plist that allows you to choose a setting that goes above the maximum tracking speed available in the preferences. Similarly, you can access these higher tracking speed settings in BetterTouchTool.

22. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Would it be worth the price to get one to use with a pre-unibody MB (aka no glass trackpad) if I mainly use it at a desk? I currently have a cheap wireless mouse, it works fine, so would it be worth $70 to upgrade? I've been tempted for a while... :)

23. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah it would give u the multi touch feature for your machine.