Should I get a MBP 13" 2.53GHZ? (Story inside)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryuukumori, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

So last month (June 14), I shelled out $1100 on an HP dv3t (also a 13" notebook) with some amazing specs. Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, 5100 Wireless Network Card, 9 cell battery (tops at 7 hours), backlit keyboard, fingerprint reader, NVidia GeForce 105M with 512MB dedicated VRAM, and bluetooth. It's a great machine and I have stuck well with Vista, to be honest. No real problems at all, and I've rigged this machine so it's well protected online, cleaning registry, etc. I have grown to love OSX and Windows, but at the time I bought this machine, I didn't have enough money (college coming up this fall), that I HAD to go cheaper. I didn't want to shell out for the original white MacBook because if I were to buy a Mac, I wanted close-to-exact specs I paid for on this HP. Plus, the UniBody just sounds nicer, especially on a college campus.

However, the past 3 days have been iffy. When plugged in AC power, I felt mild electric shocks from the left corner by the DVD drive, trackpad buttons, and the media remote and SD card slots. This only happens on AC power (and I had it plugged into a power strip with everything else used up, like TV, Xbox 360, and cable box). Now, the shocks only occur less frequent, and I am still undergoing tests on a normal unused outlet, battery power, etc. I am highly considering contacting HP to see if I can get a replacement or a refund for this. I have a built-in 2 year warranty on this notebook.

Speaking of this little dilemma, I was looking back to Mac. With some more money now and a possible refund from HP, I could afford the edu discounted MacBook Pro 2.53GHZ at 13". My small concern is living with less-decked out specs, though I know OSX runs smooth as a less power-hungry OS. My largest concern is light electric shocks. Is this a typical circumstance to any notebook? Or does the MBP chassis remove this problem?

I am very satisfied with my HP dv3t. But the mild electric shocks when on AC power scares me. And this might only be true because I had the AC power on a very busy power strip, and not as clear. If Mac is better hardware-wise, I'll consider it. But if it's merely OS, I'll stick to a cheaper machine until I know what is necessary.

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Electric shocks are uncommon but it happens. As to your HP, it has great specs and if you get a replacement one, I would keep it and upgrade to Windows 7 when it is released. You can probably pre-order Windows 7 now on Amazon.com or Bestbuy. If your HP continues giving you problems, I would go for the Macbook Pro.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Just to confirm. Is the power strip connected to a grounded outlet. If not then it does not work.

4. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

5. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I'm not sure whether you'll get a refund, probably just a repair or a replacement.

6. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

You have a good laptop now, I would send it in for warranty work. Call in and tell them you are etting electrical shocks from your laptop and afraid it will cause a fire.

7. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

or possibly kill you :eek:

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

Definitely look to get your current machine fixed. If its possible, I would personally return it....

If you like macs enough and can afford it, I would go for it!

I have "nice" pcs that have more "processing power" than my MBP which is the exact one you're considering. Let me just say that the MBP outperforms them in terms of doing what I want to do faster. It's stable, powerful, very nice looking, and I couldn't be happier.

9. nizmoz macrumors 65816

HP will not refund you. They will fix your laptop and send it back. Trust me I use to work for them. Your best bet is to get it fixed and sell it.

10. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I would've gone for the new MBP but money was an issue. It kinda still is, but I was being more flexible as I was explaining myself here, since I was thinking about Macs all over again.

I'll be taking my HP machine to college, but don't really want to lose money now on it and get a Mac right away. Would it be stupid to upgrade in a year or 2 to a second notebook for college? I really like both machines very much. HPs are great (for price) Macs are great (for OS and build), it's just the hardware and support I'm worrying about between the two. Only way I'd consider a Mac now is if I persuade HP from the problem I experienced to get a refund (it hasn't been 30 days yet), and even if they complain about that, I'll say it's a fatal defect that's hazardous. What do you think?

Also, in this thread, I have yet to hear from someone if electric shocks have come from a MBP (more specifically, the new models). Thanks.

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just keep your HP, it has great specs. If you absolutely want a Mac, need a Mac, and have the money for it, get one.

12. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem is the unknown. I have yet to hear a response from HP and their input on this situation. So if I have a chance at a refund, might as well get it out of the way. If a refund is possible, I'd earn another $400 for a Mac later this summer, IF it has no problems with any possible electric discharge. I need confirmation from sources (a.k.a- people here who use MBPs regularly) about this.

13. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

If you get a refund plus that $400, you should get that Macbook Pro :D
    I don't think Macbook Pro's have problems with electric discharges, I've never heard of that problem.

14. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

I really hope so. I mean, no dis on HP, they are a great company, but I'm willing to try something new if HP's new notebook models are prone to these problems. I mean, getting shocked was pretty scary!

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I've read more than 1 thread on these forums complaining about the aluminum MBP and electric shocks. Try searching it. As for your HP, by all means, I would keep it. Great specs and Windows 7 is coming out soon. Just try sending it in for repair and see what happens. Whatever you do, good luck man!:)

16. Ryuukumori thread starter macrumors 6502

Despite both machines prone to mild electric shocks, I now wish I bought a MacBook Pro 13". I would have really gone for it... What can I do to do this possibly? Will I have to wait a couple years until I can justify a legitamite upgrade?

17. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Not really (in my opinion). Macs can't really be compared to PCs do to software... If you have $$ to burn (which I don't:rolleyes:), I don't see why you can't go ahead and get a Mac. Otherwise, unless you really hate the HP, don't waste your time getting one. :) That's just my 2 1/2 cents;).