Should I get a MBP or an iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riviera74, Dec 7, 2015.

1. riviera74 macrumors member

I have not decided on what should ultimately replace my Windows desktop PC. The dilemma is this: I could go for a 27 inch 5K iMac OR a 15 inch retina MacBook Pro.

Configuration for the $2699 iMac:
    27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
    • 3.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 16GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - two 8GB
    • 512GB Flash Storage
    • AMD Radeon R9 M395 with 2GB video memory
    • Magic Mouse 2
    • Magic Keyboard (English) & User’s Guide
    • Accessory Kit
    Configuration for the $2499 MBP:
    15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

• 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    • 512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    • Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Force Touch trackpad
    • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    • Accessory Kit

I can always get a large screen if I am at home (e.g. a 27-30" IPS LCD panel) to attach to the MBP. That of course is unnecessary with an iMac; however the iMac is a little too bulky to move around whenever I travel. I have tried to keep configurations very similar and prices about the same. So which one would you recommend in my case?

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Sounds like you have pretty much answered your own question. With the Macbook Pro you will have more convienence during transport. The main thing going for the iMac is its graphics performance will be superior at similar resolutions.. though I believe at native resolutions it might be a bit of a wash...

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

That 15" is on sale for $2249 from bhphotovideo.

Best Buy price matches with them - I would get that.

4. vinylretina macrumors member

vinylretina

Depends on how important being able to take your computer with you (even if that is merely to the couch) is. I'm a laptop guy because I like having the freedom to transport my computer to and from anywhere I go like school and such. Thus, I put my money into a MBP and have a weaker iMac for my desktop environment desires. Some people feel differently and want a all-powerful desktop and a laptop that can get basic tasks done.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was in a similar situation as you and I opted for the 27" iMac, basically the model you quoted above. The bottom line however is mobility. Do you need (or want) a computer that can travel with you? If so then it makes no sense to get the iMac. I think the 5k display of the iMac is absolutely gorgeous and nothing beats it, I love the speed, display and design of the iMac but then I still have my MBP (and a SP3) to use for my mobility needs.

Its true you can purchase a larger display to complement the MBP and that makes a great combination. So it all boils down to your specific mobility needs, do you want something that sits on a desk, or do you need a computer that goes with you

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you don't need portability at all, it seems not, then a desktop will always be a better spec for the same price and more reliable. So get the iMac.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

The only question you should ask yourself is: do I need portability?

That'll answer the rest.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't think it's a great time to buy a 15" MBP. It's still on haswell (4th gen core family) while the 13" MBP and 21" iMac are broadwell (5th) and the 27" iMac is skylake (6th). Ths 15" MacBook Pro is still a very good machine, but IMO the value is not there when you're paying well over $2000 for a laptop with 2013 processor tech.

So if it were me, I'd buy an iMac now or wait for early 2016 for the 15" MBP.

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Really simple mate, if you do not want to take your computer with you get an imac as it will ALWAYS be more powerful. If you do want to take your Mac with you then get a MacBook Pro as it's the most powerful laptop they make. Whilst not as powerful as a true desktop computer, it's no slouch and can handle demanding tasks pretty well.

I had a huge beast of a Windows machine with dual Xeon processors, expensive RAID hard drives etc etc, but I realised I really didn't use half it's power and when I came back to Macs, after several years of Windows, I was looking at the Mac Pro but fell for the MacBook Pro again realising I really didn't need all that power, the old model MacBook Pro had little catches that sprung down when the lid was closed, awesome.
    Unfortunately I utterly hated the keyboard haha so when the unibody model was launched with the chiclet keyboard I jumped at it, have not looked back since, it was more then enough for me plus you get to take your entire computer around with you :)

All I want is a big screen, I have recently too been looking at iMacs or a new MacBook Pro's for next year as my current one will be 6! But I think I'll go for a new Mac laptop and docking solution with monitor as I do tend to lounge around with my computer still.

And think about that, my Mac computer will be SIX years old next year! I maxed the memory out and put a Samsung SSD in it, it rocks. Really hope I have the money, if everything works out, for a new one next year.

10. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Except get it from b&h because they're a better company.. and I believe they have no sales tax (unless you're a New York resident).

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True, but I guess if you want instant gratification, then you'd go with best buy.

12. riviera74 thread starter macrumors member

You know, I will probably go for the iMac 27 inch retina screen. After using desktops for what seems like forever, the compromises that tend to come with notebooks are not always great for heavy work. Thank you for all of your views and suggestions.

13. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

If deciding between an iMac versus a 15" rMBP for a desktop, I was looking at the same thing, because an iMac is pretty big. However, there is cooling -- the fans on a rMBP doing heavy desktop work (virtualization, for example) will be noticable, while the iMac will have a lot more room for cooling and air circulation. It also will throttle the CPU less, enabling more effective speed.

14. riviera74 thread starter macrumors member

That is probably why mobile processors have always been weaker than desktop ones, which has been the case forever. That fact is regardless of whether it is a PC or a Mac.