Should I get a mid-2009 Macbook pro now or wait for new line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rdrmax03, Jan 16, 2011.

  1. rdrmax03 macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2011
    I am thinking about buying a Macbook Pro off of craigslist and was wondering if this deal is good?

    I will mostly be using the laptop for school. This includes music/office/internet/watch movies.

    15 inch
    2.54 GHz Intel Duo Core Processor
    4 GB RAM
    250 GB Hard Drive
    OS X 10.6.6
    Comes with Applecare

    The price is $1100.

    Should I nab this now or wait till they release the new versions around april? I figure if I wait till the new ones come out around april then I can nab a i5 that someone is trying to sell for cheaper.

    Whats the best approach here guys? Looking for some opinions.

  2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a


    Nov 14, 2007
    I would not buy it unless it has applecare. I tent to buy a lot of macbook/macbook pros off crlist
    in 2010
    black book 2.4 ghz 320 gb HD 4gb ram applecare 450.00
    White macbook 2.4 250 gb hd 4gb ram applecare 400.00
    2008 Macbook pro 2.4 ghz 250 gb hd 4gb ram 15'' no glossy 500 applecare
    2008 Macbook pro 2.66ghz 320gb Hd 4gb ram 15'' no glossy applecare 600
    (current) late 2008 Macbook pro 15'' glossy 2.4 intel core 2 duo 2gb ram 250 gb HD applecare til Nov. paid 800.00

    So I would say you should keep looking and get a better deal or buy a macbook that has applecare sell it in a month on ebay for more than you paid for it ect..
  3. deadlystriker macrumors regular


    Jan 15, 2011
    If you absolutely need it right now, then buy it. Otherwise I think it's worth the wait for the refresh. It would be better spec'ed and the prices on previous gens will be cheaper
  4. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    1100 USD might be a bit much:

    Also know, that it has no dedicated GPU, only the IGP 9400M with 256MB shared RAM:

    And there is no need to make more than one thread about the same issue, especially in such short time.

    The mantra is: BUY NOW = NEED NOW. WAIT = IF YOU CAN.

    Other than that, that MBP is more than enough for your needs, even an older MBP or MB can be sufficient for them, there is no need for an i5 or quad core CPU to check Facebook while listening to iTunes and watching a movie in VLC and editing an essay at the same time.
    Even my 2007 iMac and 2008 white MB can do those tasks, and just recently I opened 50 applications at once (46 at once, the other four right after) on my 2009 MBP without a hitch.
  5. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

    Jan 24, 2010
  6. rdrmax03 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 16, 2011
    Yah sorry about that. I was browsing and then realized that there was a "buying questions" section and thought it was more appropriate for there. I just forgot to come back in here and ask a mod to close.
  7. wisty macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2009
    Given your needs, an MBA could be better.

    Consider an SSD HDD upgrade (really). Otherwise, the current model is overkill.
  8. puttputt macrumors regular

    Sep 12, 2006
    sounds like you have the time to wait. If so, wait a few months.

Share This Page