Should I get a monitor with Thunderbolt for Mac mini and eGPU?

Minxy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hi. I have a Mac mini 2018 and I'm looking to get the base BlackMagic eGPU and a 4K monitor. Is there any reason or advantage to getting a monitor that uses the Thunderbolt connection?

hagjohn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not aware of any video card using Thunderbolt as an output (to a monitor), so you would have to get an HDMI or DisplayPort to Thunderbolt 3 cable, if they make such a thing. I know they make thunderbolt 3 to HDMI or DisplayPort but not sure if they are reversible.

Last edited:

jinnyman

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
If you plan to use eGPU, I think it's better to get a conventional monitor with HDMI/display port.
What's the use if you cannot connect your monitor to eGPU?

Of course.. unless you plan to get an overpriced black magic with TB3 output...

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Hi. I have a Mac mini 2018 and I'm looking to get the base BlackMagic eGPU and a 4K monitor. Is there any reason or advantage to getting a monitor that uses the Thunderbolt connection?
The only advantage would be to make use of additional USB ports that the monitor with Thunderbolt may have. If you don't really care about the extra ports, then there's no real advantage.

Minxy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
The only advantage would be to make use of additional USB ports that the monitor with Thunderbolt may have. If you don't really care about the extra ports, then there's no real advantage.

That's great, thank you everybody. Maybe I got confused, I might get an Ultrawide monitor or want to use two monitors simultaneously - is the way to make that work if they are using Thunderbolt?

Of course.. unless you plan to get an overpriced black magic with TB3 output...
I agree, yes the eGPU is overpriced! A Razor case can be upgraded but it might be that in a couple of years' time the new model iMac has been released so this is the perfect solution for now (I hope). But I'm buying it second-hand which chops a third off and it offers plug in play convenience and should allow me to do my tasks.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
That's great, thank you everybody. Maybe I got confused, I might get an Ultrawide monitor or want to use two monitors simultaneously - is the way to make that work if they are using Thunderbolt?

I agree, yes the eGPU is overpriced! A Razor case can be upgraded but it might be that in a couple of years' time the new model iMac has been released so this is the perfect solution for now (I hope). But I'm buying it second-hand which chops a third off and it offers plug in play convenience and should allow me to do my tasks.
The RX580 BM eGPU pro has an HDMI port on the back to connect up an ultra wide display. LG makes some UW displays that use Thunderbolt 3, but they aren’t cheap.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
No.
DON'T get thunderbolt as a monitor connection scheme.
It's too limited, and over-priced.

Get a "regular" display, with a choice of connection ports, such as displayport, DVI, HDMI...

Reactions: Synchro3 and EmmEff

Zdigital2015

macrumors 68020
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
No.
DON'T get thunderbolt as a monitor connection scheme.
It's too limited, and over-priced.

Get a "regular" display, with a choice of connection ports, such as displayport, DVI, HDMI...
The LG 34WK95U-W includes HDMI and DisplayPort interfaces as well, but the $1,499 cost is going to be a kicker for most people. So not as limited, but definitely overpriced.

The BenQ PD3220U includes HDMI and DisplayPort, but the cost is $1,199, and it's a 4K display, which I can rightly recommend at this size, unless you're going to run it at full resolution.

There are choices with Thunderbolt 3, but they're all overly expensive.