Should I get a NAS or stick with AirDisk

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pup975, Sep 27, 2010.

1. pup975 macrumors member

I'm running out of HD space on my AirDisk (WD HD connected via USB to my Airport Extreme). I'm considering using a Synology NAS. However, I'm curious about a few things that I've read:

1) Does iPhoto play nicely with NAS? I currently have my iPhoto library on my AirDisk. While it works and is slow, I was hoping that the NAS would be faster. However, I have heard some things about iPhoto only working on drives formatted in Mac Journaled.

2) Can you configure the NAS to automount on start up and upon wakening from sleep? This (automounting after waking from sleep) was such a huge improvement when Snow Leopard came out for the AirDisk that I want to make sure that the NAS can do this as well.

3) Are the speeds of a NAS much better than the AirDisk over wireless (802.11n)?

2. chrisjmacdonald macrumors newbie

Some other questions

I am also in a similar situation and I am trying to decide what to do.

Does anyone know if I can put some of my iTunes library on an external drive? Right now it all saves to once place but is it possible to have it start saving externally as well or does it all need to be placed in one place, internal or external?

This is mostly because I have an Apple TV (not the new one) and I have been converting and uploading a lot of files to watch and keep in my iTunes but this has caused my library to treble in size.

Suggestions?

3. pup975 thread starter macrumors member

You can definitely put the iTunes library on an external drive. I've currently got mine on my AirDisk such that all of my computers in my house share the library. From what I've read, iTunes works on a NAS that is formatted in other formats than HFS+ Mac OS Journaled.

I did an experiment and created a disk image via Disk Utility that was formatted as HFS+, put it on my AirDisk, and put my iPhoto library on it, and it worked. I was also able to get the iPhoto library disk image to mount automatically on start up. So, I think the NAS will work with this work around.