Should I get a new battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NiteQwill, Mar 23, 2008.

1. NiteQwill macrumors newbie

I'm nearing 500 cycles on my original battery. Receiving about 1.5 hrs max running on the battery. I'm debating about going a little longer or just shelling out $70 on a new one. My full charge is 3872 mAh.

Thanks in advance.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Does Apple not cover the battery on the warranty.

3. NiteQwill thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery is almost 2 years old. So I'm thinking it's not. There is no defects just trying to get opinions one when people replace their batteries.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Only if the battery is obviously defective (ie it has worn down far more than it should have for x number of cycles).

At 500 cycles, the OP's battery is well worn and it wouldn't be covered.

Out of curiosity OP, which notebook do you have? If you're down to 1.5 hours and don't plan on replacing your notebook soon, it might be worthwhile. If your current notebook only has a few months left, don't bother; put that money towards a new notebook instead.

5. NiteQwill thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a 15 MBP. I'll be keeping it much longer (I'm guestimating about 2-3 years before picking up a new one). Thanks for your input.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you plan on keeping it for 2-3 years, then I think you need one pronto! :p

Seriously, you shouldn't try to stretch this battery any further; it's already lost more than 50% of its maximum capacity and pretty soon, you won't be able to go far without the AC adapter.

7. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

could always buy a new battery and keep the old one as a spare for long trips

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah. It really depends on how much you use your battery in general. If you're plugged in 99% of the time, your battery only needs to last for a few hours in sleep mode or for as long as it takes you to find an outlet when moving the computer. On the other hand, if you frequently need >1hr of life unplugged, you might want to look into a new one by this summer.

9. NiteQwill thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just thinking that. I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

I'll be buying a new OEM battery off ebay.

But... has anyone had any experience with the FastMac batteries?

10. qsoundrich macrumors member

Bumping this thread. I've got a macbook, and my battery is only giving me about an hour after 600 cycles. Whats the most cost-effective replacement solution?

11. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I got a great deal on a battery with %100 health from ebay for 30 bucks shipped

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, but I know one thing not to be be cheap about is batteries. Had a few unpleasants myself with third-party stuff.

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Buy a new battery.

600 cycles is well beyond normal wear. Look on Amazon, ebay, or just get one from Apple.

14. NiteQwill thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a new OEM battery off ebay for $70, free shipping. Can't beat that anywhere.

15. DJJONES macrumors 6502

good thing u bought a new one. 1.5 hours wayyyyy to short of time.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Indeed, that's a great price.

Just be sure to do a calibration when you get it.

17. NamisloC macrumors newbie

500 Cycles? Maybe you should invest in a new battery and keep the old one as a back up for long trips and what not.

18. jorge66 macrumors newbie

The question has answer in it. Are you using a laptop as a laptop (without plugging to a wall) for more than 1.5 hours?

IS IT WORTH money-wise that is different question. Can you carry a charger all the time and use 80-129 $ for other things? Or 80-129 $ are worth not that much compared to that inconvenience?

There is ebay ($70) and there is apple store ($129) and fastmac store ($80). http://fastmac.com/laptop.php