Should I get a new iMac now???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattnotis, May 9, 2010.

  1. mattnotis macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #1
    I've had my current iMac for several years now. It's running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with a 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo Processor and 512 MB of RAM. It's been freezing quite a bit as of late and I'm guessing it's just due to its age and the fact that it can't handle its commands. But should I tough it out a little bit longer for a potential iMac update at WWDC or should I just get a new one now? I don't want to be stuck with an obsolete model.
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
  3. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

    Airforcekid

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Location:
    United States of America
    #3
    Depends to me if your going i5 or i7 nothing much is going to change just hold off on C2D.
     
  4. mattnotis thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #4
    What's the difference?
     
  5. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #5
    Between what?

    The C2D is an old architecture, which offers two cores and two threads at the same time, the i5 and i7 are newer and offer four cores and the i7 offers even 8 simultaneous threads.

    Use MRoogle to find dozens of threads about this.
     
  6. mattnotis thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #6
    I consulted a few of my more tech-savvy friends and they said it'd definitely be wise to wait until WWDC to make my purchase. Hopefully Apple updates like I think they will.
     
  7. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2005
    Location:
    Kenya
    #7
    What are you using the iMac for?

    Is it fast enough when it works and isn't "frozen"?

    While you wait for new iMac announcements, it might be worth a fresh install of the OS to see if that would sort out the freezing. (And if it's a model where the back opens, maybe take the back off and check it's not clogged up with dust inside).

    If it does work, an upgrade to 2GB of RAM would make your machine a LOT faster than it is now. And probably wouldn't cost much.

    If you want to buy a shiny new iMac, that's not a bad idea either, and don't let me put you off, but I'm sure that unless your iMac has a hardware fault that's causing the freezing, it's really a perfectly decent spec computer unless you're doing photo/video editing or something strenuous like that.
     
  8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #8
    Tech savvy is not the same as 'in the know'. My guess is the MacPro is more likely around that time. Also, the MacAir is also likely to be out at or before WWDC. The reason is that both of these refreshes are way overdue. The iMac will not be overdue until after Sept since historically it has been refreshed on alternating 11-8-11-8 month cycles. So if this pattern holds then you might be waiting until Sept. Also, since MBP's also took about 25% longer than normal this year to get a refresh (and the MP or MA are, as mentioned, overdue) then the likelihood of an iMac refresh in June is not that likely. Besides, there is little to update on a iMac.
     
  9. spice weasel macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2003
    #9
    I have no way of knowing for sure, but I highly doubt there are new iMac releases for WWDC this year. I'd recommend going ahead and getting an iMac now, but would advise against the Core 2 Duo configuration. As others have pointed out, that chip is pretty old now. If you can swing it, get the Core i7 - I have one and that thing screams. But even the Core i5 will be a huge improvement over your current rig.
     
  10. 7thMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 10, 2010
    #10
    Age by itself does not cause these programs. Contrary to popular belief, computers don't get tired or confused. Consider backing up your files and reinstalling your OS.
     
  11. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    Location:
    Michigan
    #11
    Hmm, 512 MB of memory? Is that a typo? I have 4 GB and I can start swapping from time to time. I'd find a retailer that will sell you a memory upgrade with a 14 day return policy and restocking fee. Try upgrading to 4 GB for a hundred bucks.... I bet you'll be surprised at how fast it runs... if not, return the RAM.

    If the RAM upgrade works, you can sit tight until the updates... You'll get your RAM purchase back if/when you sell your old MAC.
     
  12. cryer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #12
    I had to make this decision and decided to go for it and get it now. What could they possibly update by June? i7 is the fastest available so what else could they add or change? And I especially got one now because the refurb store has them in stock. Once they're gone, they're gone.
     
  13. Omnigray macrumors newbie

    Omnigray

    Joined:
    May 7, 2010
    #13
    The refurb deal on the i7 aint that great. It's only $50 cheaper than with the student discount.
     
  14. blinkin182 macrumors regular

    blinkin182

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #14
    I agree with others, there are various ways you could solve your freezing/spinning beach ball problems:

    you could reinstall Mac OSX, make sure you have sufficient disk space left on your startup disc, repair disk permissions.

    However, I'm also in the market to upgrade my iMac. Nothing wrong with it but I'm looking to get some more speed/better performances, more RAM etc. I've upgraded my iMac as much as I could (maxed out RAM to 4GB)...

    But I'd suggest you try repairing/fixing your issues so you will have a better chance of selling your iMac to pay for the upgrade!:)
     
  15. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #15

    Agree that you might consider this. For everyday tasks, I don't even notice any difference between my Mac Pro octo and our old G4 gooseneck iMac.
     
  16. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #16
    I doubt you'll see an iMac upgrade until the end of this year or the beginning of next year. Don't buy a Core Duo iMac, make sure to save enough for the i5 or i7. If you can wait until next year, keep saving money for a 27" after the upgrade. If you can't, but a 27" i5 now.

    A fresh OS install and 2Gig RAM upgrade will do a lot for you. I'm pretty sure 3Gigs of RAM is the max your iMac will recognize, but it will be a significant improvement over 0.5Gigs of RAM. Just buy a 2Gig matched pair and install that.
     
  17. mattnotis thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #17
    Yah, I'd love to get the 27" one but it's just too big and too expensive.
     
  18. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #18
    They just updated the iMacs in November. I would highly doubt they would be upgraded, other than a slight processor bump.

    The MP and MBA would probably get an update/new model, and ofcourse the new iPhone. Might see a peek of what iTunes 10 will offer, and maybe (big maybe) some info on what to expect with Cougar/Amur/Lion, although I am banking on a devs' seed early next year and a beta at WWDC next June.

    Might see some Office 2010, iLife/iWork, etc..
     
  19. mattnotis thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #19
    Is there a SIGNIFICANT difference between the the i5 processors and the Core Duos? I figure either way, anything is better than the one I have now.
     
  20. HBOC macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Location:
    SLC
    #20
    the i5 is probably going to be a bit faster, but that depends on what processor you have now, the RAM, etc.

    The difference between mine (2.5GHZ 4GB RAM 15") and a new i7 is probably noticeable. Is it worth $1300 difference (sell mine and buy a new one)? Absolutely not. If i was doing After Effects or Video production for a living, then it would render a lot quicker, as I am topped at 4GB RAM. But then again, if i was a pro, i would be using a Mac Pro.
     
  21. mattnotis thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #21
    It's running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with a 1.83 Ghz Intel Core Duo Processor and 512 MB of RAM. Not to mention that the screen is a paltry 17'' with a dead pixel right in the middle of it.
     
  22. davidw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Location:
    New York City
    #22
    If your computer is that old and that junky, you should go buy a new iMac as soon as possible. If you can possibly afford it, get the 27" iMac with a quad-core i5 or i7 and 8 gigs of RAM. Even if there is a minor refresh in a few months or even if there is a price drop, you will still have an absurdly capable computer that will last for years and years. As a bonus, you will have an obscenely amazing computer monitor that it will take months for you to stop gawking at.
     
  23. davidw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    Location:
    New York City
    #23
    There is a major difference between the i5 and the Core 2 Duo processor. How big is the difference?

    [​IMG]

    That's how big the difference is. Going from the tip-top of-the-line Core 2 Duo (3.33 GHz) to the i5 and you're getting 39% more performance. Go to the i7 and you're getting 88% more performance. It's an enormous leap and totally worth it.
     
  24. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #24
    WWDC is so close that anyone considering a new machine should wait and
    see what the news is. Minor improvements for the iMac would not surprise me.
     
  25. mattnotis thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 9, 2010
    #25
    Yah, I think that'd be the safest route to go. It's only a few weeks away so if nothing is announced by then, I'll just go ahead and get whatever is currently available and affordable.
     

Share This Page