Should I get a new Imac or Iphone for my b-day

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sk8now123, Mar 12, 2009.

1. sk8now123 macrumors member

sk8now123

I can't decide. It doesn't matter which one I get but I'm editing a full length HD skate video and my ibook g4 only has 512mb of ram when I could get 4gb of ram for faster use. Then again, I've never had a cell phone and I'm turning 14 and an Iphone would be a great choice. I need it to call my friends and talk to girls and saying I have a # instead of saying I don't have a phone cause that's a girl down the drain... My parents are divorced but my mom isn't that rich but my dad is pretty rich. I know to get straight-A's for the next few months, but I film seriously and not kidding around. I edit with final cut express. Pleae help, I do start working in may at a local yacht club as a busser.

2. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Simple - get two iphones, then if one falls in the water at the yacht club you'll have a backup.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

imac.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

iBook G4 doesn't support 4GB of RAM.

5. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

get an iMac dude, you can use any cellphone ever made to call girls and if you need an iPhone to impress girlies then you will never get a girl anyway.

6. sk8now123 thread starter macrumors member

sk8now123

no i want the iphone mainly for the ipod cause i have 4gb 3generation nano right now and I need more memory to hold everything

7. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

8. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think he meant the iMac (?).
    Yes.
    If you want just an iPod, get a refurb iMac and a 32 or 16GB iPod touch and call it even. An iPhone has a $2000 contract attached to its initial price; the iMac and the touch don't. Trust me, it sucks to see the money from your job going to the same place every month.

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Hmm...computer or phone. Is that really a choice? Get the more expensive thing.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

get a new imac..they were recently upgraded too

11. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

why not get the imac then a cheaper phone? or a macbook and a cheap phone and a cheap used touch?

12. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

get the imac, you can do more with it. Get a cheap phone for now and an iphone for christmas. :rolleyes:

I have white 20" imac and I can't picture myself without it. My iphone's touch screen is messed up and now I am dying. I can't use it but I still have my imac and it is still going strong 2 1/2 years later.

13. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

All the iMac's have just been updated, so now is a good time to get one of them.

The iPhone is due to be updated in 3 months so now is not a good time to buy an iPhone.

So I would go iMac for b-day and wait till later this year for the iPhone.

14. bossxii macrumors 68000

iMac hands down! The iPhone will likely be updated this summer. Get the iMac and once all the new iPhones hit pick up a current gen one for cheap, like $99 bucks or less used.

Considering your given a choice of receiving a present worth $1000 or $200... go for the iMac :D:apple::D

15. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I will say definitely go for the iMac.

I think its about the same price as the iPhone if you consider the monthly bills, so its not a matter of picking a 2000 gift or a 200 gift, they are both the same value in the end.

If you are into video editing and stuff like that, you will definitely benefit from the iMac. Besides, if you learn how to do really good video editing you can turn that into money down the road. You will be developing a great skill that will be very valuable your whole life.

If you get an iPhone, you will get a cool piece of technology, but ultimately it is overpriced and unnecessary for your needs. Get a summer job or mow some neighbors lawns and save up for a 2nd hand iPod Touch, if you need extra storage so badly. Or just pick and choose which items from your library you want to listen to at any given time.

Its nice to have your WHOLE library with you, sure, but no human has a need for more than maybe 512MB or 1GB of music at any given time. Every week just decide which few albums you will be listening to and synch those. Then rotate bands in and out. 4GB is more than enough space.

As for phone, get a prepaid phone.

They come pretty cheap, I am sure you can snag one for under $60 and get recharge cards for $20 that will last you a while (assuming you only use the phone when necessary and "to have a number" not to talk obsessively on it).

With the phone, you're going to get something that may seem cool now, but does not add any value to your life. With the computer, you are going to be developing a useful skill (and possibly other skills as well), so the benefits are much greater.

You will also spend far more time on the computer than listening to your mp3 player I am sure.