Should I get a new Macbook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prozak0820, May 14, 2015.

1. Prozak0820 macrumors regular

Prozak0820

I have been thinking about getting a new Macbook Pro 15" for my birthday and im not sure if i should wait or not. I would like to have it for music production, CAD, photo editing, and everyday use. And i dont need a 1TB PCIe drive im fine with 512Gb but i will also need a display and im not sure if i should go with the Thunderbolt display or not. Thanks.

2. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Wait until June i think a new one will be announced

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Wait for a new 15". I would get a normal display and not the Thunderbolt one. A good display lasts a long time. The TB display is expensive for what it offers and outside of Apple nobody supports Thunderbolt. You can use any device to access HDMI, MHL, Displayport displays but with the TB display you are stuck purchaseing MBPs for the rest of its life time. Tablets, Smartphones, notebooks in the future, including the Macbook don't work with the TB display.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Price aside, if you have an Apple laptop with Thunderbolt, and aren't planning on switching to Windows, it really doesn't matter what other companies do.

5. Prozak0820 thread starter macrumors regular

Prozak0820

macbook pro

ok Thank you everyone i think ill wait and see

6. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I think the bigger issue with buying a thunderbolt display is that it can really be used with anything other than your mac. If you wanted to connect your camera directly to it for viewing, or want to hook up a PS4 or something, your kinda SOL.

I contemplated buying one as the features are pretty awesome like having an extra magsafe charger that's built in and what amounts to basically an expressdock that makes it convenient to leave accessories attached to the monitor and only plug in the mac. The display itself is also pretty gorgeous. If you are on the go a lot and/or you only plan on using an external monitor with your mac, the thunderbolt display is cool. I don't think I am going to get one though because I can't do some of the things I mentioned above.

Another thing to note is that the cost of some well reviewed displays fall well below the price of even a used thunderbolt display. Take the dell P2715Q. Not as attractive from a design or build quality stand point, but it offers a whole bevy of connectivity (HDMI, miniDP, audio, USB hub) and 4k resolution at 60hz for newer macbook owners. I have seen this monitor be sold for less than $500 brand new on a few occasions. Hard to find a used thunderbolt display thats that cheap.