Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eddyish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Hong Kong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

So you've probably all heard about the rumours about the new redesigned MacBook pro coming out soon... I would probably have bought that one. However the problem is that my early 2008 MacBook pro's display doesn't work anymore and the apple geniuses say I'll most likely have to pay around 700 to get it fixed. I don't know what to do. I'd much rather just buy a new MacBook pro but when I bought my current MacBook pro, the new redesigned one came out a few months later. I really don't want something like that to repeat itself...

So I guess the question is, should I wait for the new one to come out and fix my laptop or just buy one now? I need my laptop for work and really can't be without one. Then again I don't really want an ultra thin laptop but rather one with everything I need (I'm planning to get a 17 inch one anyway) and the current laptop does look quite good...

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I see this question being asked all the time.

The answer is always: if you need it, get it now. If you can wait, then wait.

Don't make it into such a commodity dilemma.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
1. The "2012 MacBook Pro" news is not confirmed; pure rumor -- think of the iPhone 5 rumors that preceded the 4s reveal.

2. I think you answered your own question.
- you need it for work
- you like the current design
- 17" negates need for Air like design (portability)

If you really feel buyers remorse should a new design come out, I'm sure you won't have too much trouble selling a nearly brand-new MPB.

Eddyish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Hong Kong
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I forgot to mention that I have a spare old Fujitsu PC laptop that I hate but could still use for work and whatnot. Meh I don't know. The last time I decided to just buy the Pro, they redesigned it and made it cheaper, faster, have a longer battery life, etc.

Still if they decide to do to the MacBook Pro what they did to the iPod Nano, I'd just buy the current one. Damn i'm indecisive.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
The last time I decided to just buy the Pro, they redesigned it and made it cheaper, faster, have a longer battery life, etc.

That's what happens with technology. It's an uphill battle you cannot win. Just get it and sell when you get the new one. I guarantee you that the speed difference between the next MBP and the latest one will not be much of a difference, only (possibly, as it's a rumor) will be redesigned.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
If you need one then you buy one. Everything right now is just rumor and speculation. Just remember that there is always something better faster smaller on the horizon. How long it takes to get here is the only variable.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Intel isn't releasing Ivy Bridge until April/May and then apple will update their laptop line sometime after that.

If you can wait, then wait, otherwise the new laptops won't be out until summer

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
The last time I decided to just buy the Pro, they redesigned it and made it cheaper, faster, have a longer battery life, etc.

That happens with every piece of technology out there (maybe not the battery life if it does not run on a battery). The moment you buy the latest and the greatest and walk out the store, there is something better.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
The technology never stops changing. You'll only have a current laptop for a week anyways so get it now. I'm glad I didn't wait. :)

I

iFanboy

I forgot to mention that I have a spare old Fujitsu PC laptop that I hate but could still use for work and whatnot. Meh I don't know. The last time I decided to just buy the Pro, they redesigned it and made it cheaper, faster, have a longer battery life, etc.

Still if they decide to do to the MacBook Pro what they did to the iPod Nano, I'd just buy the current one. Damn i'm indecisive.

Given than any new Macbook Pro is certain to have Ivy Bridge, and that isn't out until April/May 2012, as a pure guess I'd say we were all looking at a Q4 Macbook Pro release at the earliest.

The only question is, can you wait that long and possibly longer? If the answer is yes, wait, if not buy one now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
were all looking at a Q4 Macbook Pro release at the earliest.
That might be a little too conservative of an estimate. I don't think apple is going to sit on Ivy Bridge 5 to 6 months before releasing a new laptop.

Eddyish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Hong Kong
I guess I'll see how much I have to pay to fix my macbook and sleep on the decision. I might just use my spare laptop until the new macbook pro comes out and buy that. I don't really like selling my laptops after buying them (something ****** happened the last time i did that).

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Buy what you need, when you need it. There is always something new around the corner. If you are always waiting for the newest model, you will truly always be waiting.

eswank

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
NorCal
What do you mean? :)

I think what he's trying to say is that with technology changing every day, there's no way you can catch up with what's new. If you get a new MacBook today, you know for sure there will be a newer one in three months or so. Just gotta be content with what you have.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

So you've probably all heard about the rumours about the new redesigned MacBook pro coming out soon... I would probably have bought that one. However the problem is that my early 2008 MacBook pro's display doesn't work anymore and the apple geniuses say I'll most likely have to pay around 700 to get it fixed...

You might have been misinformed by the geniuses. Your laptop has a 8600M GT Nvidia GPU that is known to have problems, and for which Apple provides an extended warranty of up to four years.

See the following link for more details: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

You should call Applecare or return to the shop and inquire. Since your MBP is still running, they should be able to run a hardware check and determine whether the Nvidia GPU is to blame for the problem. Be quick, the 4 years might be about to expire for your machine.

Eddyish

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Hong Kong
You might have been misinformed by the geniuses. Your laptop has a 8600M GT Nvidia GPU that is known to have problems, and for which Apple provides an extended warranty of up to four years.

See the following link for more details: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

You should call Applecare or return to the shop and inquire. Since your MBP is still running, they should be able to run a hardware check and determine whether the Nvidia GPU is to blame for the problem. Be quick, the 4 years might be about to expire for your machine.

Unfortunately my mbp did not run Apple's test, as it did not boot far enough to run it and therefore is not covered by Apple... Waragainstsleep from this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/497345/ had the same problem as me.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Unfortunately my mbp did not run Apple's test, as it did not boot far enough to run it and therefore is not covered by Apple... Waragainstsleep from this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/497345/ had the same problem as me.

Ok. Your first post lead me to believe that only your display was not working.

You can still try to call Apple and discuss this... at least ask for a flat rate repair (~ $300 usually). This is what I was offered in the same situation. When I got it back they didn't charge me anything at all, since they determined that the GPU was the problem.

There is also a do it yourself solution: Take the logic board out of the MBP and bake it in the oven. Search this forum for more detailed instructions.

nyki

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
NYC
You could do what I did: buy a cheap refurb to hold you over. I'm going to sell the one I just bought on ebay as soon as the new ones are released. I think at most I'll loose about $500-$600 and won't have to put up with my broken '07 for the next few months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.