Should I get a new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r23w, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. r23w macrumors member

    May 9, 2008
    I currently have the old macbook pro 2.2 ghz (15"), 4gb, ram, but its been running slow, battery life is only 33% (587 recharges) and my charger is pretty busted it has problems charging, i have dings, scratches, bumps, cracks, and dents everywhere on the computer.

    I am looking to buy probably the 2.8 ghz macbook pro or the 3.06, and im not sure whether to get the 15" or 17"

    1st: should i wait until the upcoming media event because they could add blu-ray or something?

    2nd: Would it be smarter for me to wait a while until they update them?

    3rd: Is it worth it to get the 3.06 over the 2.8?

    4th: Should i get the 15" or the 17"?

  2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

    Jun 8, 2009
    If you need it, get it. If you don't need it, by all means wait. Your computer is still plenty powerful. You could just get a new battery and charger. I waited almost 4 years before upgrading, and that was an upgrade from a cheap PC;).
  3. jmann macrumors 604


    Dec 8, 2007
    bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I don't think the media event will have anything to do with the MBP, it usually just focuses on the iPod line. It can't hurt to wait though. Also I doubt you'd see that much of a difference between the two processors. What do you plan on doing with the computer anyways? Also I would just get the 15"for the slightly better portability.
  4. MadGoat macrumors 65816


    Jul 30, 2007
    1: the media event is a music event, ipod etc...

    2: if you keep waiting until the next update, you'll never buy a new computer.

    3: you won't notice a difference

    4: depends on what you need, I have the 17 because I use it for work where I always need a bigger screen.
  5. emcham macrumors member

    Jun 29, 2009
    i originally got the 17" and was surprised to find that the high resolution bothered me. i have great vision but things just felt a bit too small. i had wanted it for years, and never even considered anything else. i exchanged it for the 3.06 15" and am very happy. its personal preference. the biggest difference day-to-day in my opinion is that the 17" screen feels vast and open, while the 15" feels comfortably spacious.

    both are excellent choices. i wouldn't wait. but on that one, you'll really have to go with your gut.
  6. marcs macrumors newbie

    Aug 31, 2009
    after spending the last 2 weeks reading and researching, I just put in an order for 15" 2.8ghz. I could not justify the extra price for the 3.06 processor. I plan on putting in an SSD and upgrade RAM down the track. Just do it. I was debating whether to wait for the new line, but the current line is perfectly quick enough to do everything I need to do. Hell I found the 2.53Ghz to quick.

Share This Page