Should I get a new S3 watch or wait for S4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Radon87000, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Radon87000 macrumors 604

I am a S0 owner and didn’t like the limited support Apple provided for it but I am too used to the Watch at this point and I don’t like using unsupported devices. According to Apple though the S3 now has only around 2 Years of support left. Is is recommended to wait for S4 or just get an S3 right now?

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

3. Starfia macrumors 6502a

Starfia

Same situation and thoughts here; I’ve decided to wait. The original Watch is painfully slow at moments, but it still qualifies as my beloved electronic companion anytime I’m out for information and music. It kind of feels like reaching that point of reluctantly having to upgrade from the original iPod or iPod touch.

4. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Personally i would wait, that's what i'm doing and i currently own/use a Series 0 Apple Watch. WWDC announced some interesting things for Watch OS5 including more fitness features so my guess and based on leaks the Apple Watch series 4 will be getting more health and fitness related features.

The Series 4 is also set to get a bit of a design change, it's been rumoured (Mark Gurman) that the bezels will get thinner and so on. If i was you i would wait until September as that's when they are announced along side the new iPhone's.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

1.) I would just wait until September to see what Apple has in store for September, alot of times for those who purchase a product right before a new product has an overhaul, they tend to have buyers remorse. My opinion would be best to wait the 3 1/2 months.

2.) Reference the Bolded in your post, where did you come up with that Apple only has two years of support for the S3? I’m Not necessarily doubting you, because that would put the Apple Watch Series 3 at three years of support if what you said is accurate, I am naturally curious how you know this?

6. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Unless you pick up a cheap S3 (like me) wait till S4.

7. Radon87000 thread starter macrumors 604

Its just an assumption on my part because WatchOS 5 runs very similarly to 4 and Apple did not release that for S0 so I deduce Apple has set a 3 year support timeline for the Watch.

8. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

So...not according to Apple then.

9. Radon87000 thread starter macrumors 604

True I should I’ve worded it better. Anyway thanks for the suggestions, guys. Guess I will wait for September :)

10. inkahauts macrumors regular

inkahauts

First generation seems to always gets shorter lifespans imho. Just look at the first gen iPad and how long it lasted vs the second generation.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Excellent post. For example, look how much more powerful the Series 3 is with the faster dual core processor over the first generation Apple Watch. The Series 3 processor is actually 70% faster over the S2 processor in the Series 2. The only real major issue the first generation Apple Watch besides the battery swelling, was that it was considerably under-powered and even with all the software updates, it’s still struggled with lag and third-party applications, where the Series 3 has virtually eliminated all of that. So it will be interesting to see how the Apple Watch progresses in terms of updates and longveity in the future.