Should I get a portable?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by werdna, Jan 20, 2008.

1. werdna macrumors newbie

I am deciding between either the low end iMac or the white macbook w/ superdrive. I have never owned a notebook before so it would be a nice change but I don't know if it suits my needs.

One major reason I want to get a notebook is so I can watch movies wherever I feel like. But the dilemma is that I either watch them on a tiny 13" screen comfortably or on a nice 20" screen sitting at my desk.

iMac pros:
    large screen
    bigger faster hdd
    less likely to have problems
    less expensive initially and in the long term

Really the only pro for the macbook is the portability. However, 95% the macbook would not leave my house. But it would be great to not have to always be tied down to my desk.

What do you think?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

most of the time my macbook is on my desk

however it is really nice being able to take it say to library, to hotels, etc

what i did is i bought a monitor so i have a 19inch display and the 13inch display while on desk

an added benefit to imac though is the graphics card. the mb cant play games as well as the imac just so you know

3. apachie2k macrumors 6502

apachie2k

in your case, since it's going to be on your desk 95% of the time, the iMac is for you! you can get a portable dvd player for the very few times you watch movies "wherever"

just my opinion...

4. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

I have to agree here. If you were comparing a pc to a macbook I would say macbook due to the smaller footprint but the iMac is even smaller of an overall footprint here and it sounds like you are fine with keeping it at home.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

if you ever want to use your computer away from your desk, get the mb. Portability is a great thing. An external monitor is always good to use with a notebook.

6. barijazz macrumors 6502

For watching movies I would probably get a t.v. and a couch. But that's just me, maybe I'm old school.

unless you're a hardcore gamer I don't see the problem.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

true. i can play halo just fine on my mb. granted grahics are way down and all lol

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Macbook for sure. I love laptops; don't think I'll ever buy a desktop. Just being able to take your computer wherever you go is worth it for me.