Should I get a refurbished macbook or new macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Zillicah, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Zillicah macrumors member

I'm a little paranoid and I don't know if I should save money and get a refurbished macbook or a new macbook.

Any thoughts?

2. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

refurb. best deal with apple. they come great ( dont listen to the ones that say they come dirty, thats VERY rare) I always buy apple refurbs. Just like new

3. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

I only go with the new ones for probably one reason: they come in the nicely packed boxes.

Actually, refurbished sometimes are even better than the new ones. They are thoroughly inspected and usually have no cosmetic damage. If you are looking for ways to cut some corners to save money (in the good sense), refurbished is the way to go. They're just as good as the new.

But just in case, I recommend AppleCare too. :D

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Go refurb!

According to apple:
    # It performs and looks like new
    # You get the same one-year warranty as new
    # The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    # It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    # It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    # It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
    # It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
    # It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    # It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely; refurb computers are individually tested and tried and come with all of Apple's guarantees; they are an excellent buy.

Cheers and good luck

6. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member

I honestly don't care about the box. I usually either throw it away or put it somewhere where I never see it.. haha

Now I'm starting to think that if there is a problem with the refurbished, the problem should appear within a year anyways. Plus, refurbished products go through two testing processes(when it's new, and when it's returned) and they say they replace broken parts.. so I think I'll end up buying a refurbished. Still doing research though :)

7. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

The only real difference between the two is the price. If you'd like to save a few hundred $$, get a refurb.