Should i get a single-speed or multi-speed bike?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Sep 19, 2012.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

After one too many expensive car repairs, I've decided to re-enter the two-wheeled world (with my bus pass handy for long or impractical trips). I am looking for an inexpensive cruiser for use on mostly flat paved roads. I haven't been on a bike since I was a kid, and I'm well, not a kid anymore. I'm not obese but I'm not athletic either.

I was looking at single-speed cruisers with coaster brakes because they're so mechanically simple and thus easy to maintain. But I wonder if I'd be better off with at least 6 or 7 speeds since I'm a middle-aged couch potato. I like the idea of front and rear brakes too....

Given that information, which do you think would be a better choice for me?

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I would say as long as there are no major hills to climb or descend a single speed bike will suit you just fine. Little to no maintenance and almost nothing can go wrong besides a dropped chain. Bikes that shift are easy to take care of and modern ones are very reliable but odds are you'd only use one or two gears just cruising anyways so I wouldn't pay the extra.

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Are coaster brakes a hassle? I heard they're hard on tires....

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This is a question for BikeForums. Post in the General Cycling Discussion. They respect newbs, but you need to know what you're talking about. They don't mind questions, but don't act like you know what you're talking about when you don't.

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'd say yes. Get a fixed gear bike instead. Much simpler. Coaster breaks are for kids bikes.

This isn't a bad idea but tread lightly. There are some very helpful folks and some very unhelpful folks too.

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Just stay out of the 41, and you'll be fine.

7. avro707 macrumors 6502a

I would say a multi-geared bike would be fine. They aren't particularly difficult to keep going and they are pretty reliable.

Youtube is a great help in keeping a bike going. From tuning derailleurs to replacing bar-tape and changing tyres or tubes, it's all there.

But the fixies are simple and if there are no major hills, you should be fine.