Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Should I get a spinning beachball when I open mail.app, skype, and google chrome at the same time? I am on an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch i5 with 8gb of ram. By the way, my fans are running like crazy and they never do when I have these applications open. wtf?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Should I get a spinning beachball when I open mail.app, skype, and google chrome at the same time? I am on an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13inch i5 with 8gb of ram. By the way, my fans are running like crazy and they never do when I have these applications open. wtf?
It's certainly possible to get a beachball while opening several resource-intensive apps simultaneously.

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

If there is increased heat, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since you have an HDD and open three applications at once, then a spinning beachball is not uncommon.

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) slowing down your Mac or speeding up your fan(s) or causing more heat.

Btw, you have created a lot of threads, many touching the same issues. Why?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I've already looked at Activity Monitor and it's the same processes I've always had. It's just that this time my Mac is hot and the fans are running.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
It's certainly possible to get a beachball while opening several resource-intensive apps simultaneously.

Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

If there is increased heat, follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

My CPU is working really hard. My RAM is fine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 12.13.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 12.13.08 AM.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Please re-read the instructions. You skipped steps 3 and 4.

There is no % CPU button. And there's no point for the System Memory tab. My memory is fine.

----------

How come my Google Chrome and Skype are using 40% of my CPU??? This has never happened before. My fans are running at full speed!

PerformaGuy

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
High CPU for browsers likely caused by flash player. Update flash player. Also how much hd space do you have left?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Ok I here's the new picture.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 12.13.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-06 at 12.13.08 AM.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 76

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How come my Google Chrome and Skype are using 40% of my CPU??? This has never happened before. My fans are running at full speed!

Probably Adobe Flash(as someone else already pointed out). Install FlashBlock and it should get better.

----------

I have the latest flash and I am only using 20% of my HD.

Having the latest Flash doesn't help. Running Flash at all results in higher temps.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Probably Adobe Flash(as someone else already pointed out). Install FlashBlock and it should get better.

----------

Having the latest Flash doesn't help. Running Flash at all results in higher temps.

Ok well I installed FlashBlock. I'll see how that goes.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I disabled flashblock and now im not getting the fans anymore... Google Chrome is so inconsistant! What's up with that?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I disabled flashblock and now im not getting the fans anymore... Google Chrome is so inconsistant! What's up with that?

This looks more related to the Flash content at a particular site you are visiting than anything wrong with Chrome. Flash heavy sites are going to bog down any machine and increase cpu usage and heat.

Do you see this same problem if you go to a site like https://www.google.com/ that has no Flash at all?

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
This looks more related to the Flash content at a particular site you are visiting than anything wrong with Chrome. Flash heavy sites are going to bog down any machine and increase cpu usage and heat.

Do you see this same problem if you go to a site like https://www.google.com/ that has no Flash at all?

Well it's hard to tell. First off, I have a ton of tabs. Second, it's very inconsistant. I have had the same tabs for about a week and I just recently had to fans going at full speed and now I don't have any fans and I am using the same exact tabs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.