Should I get a SSD for my white MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FieryFurnace, Mar 5, 2009.

1. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Hi,

I would like some opinions on whether I should get an SSD for my MacBook or not and if yes which one would fit me,...

I have a white MB (late 2008) -> see my sig.
    My MB is only used for CS4, no games, music or movies.
    I'm using 32.7GB from my 120GB right now, so around 78GB are free and that didn't basically change since I got my MB and installed CS4.
    Currently I have around 3.5GB (from those 32.7) of projects, assignments and data and I don't think that this will change because again I only use CS4 and nothing else - once I start some new projects, the older ones go to an external archive HDD.
    To sum it up, I think a 64GB SSD should be enough.

Now to the speed of the SSD.
    I don't think that I need that speed which an Intel SSD would give me. I would be satisfied if the speed is the same as with my current original HDD. Of course a faster drive would be always good. :)

My main reason to get a SSD is the shock resistance. I have an EEE PC and I love the fact that it uses an SSD.
    No need to worry about hurting your HDD when using your laptop outside and away from a stable desk.
    (I know that I am a little paranoid about that, but I had a notebook HDD failure once and that I just cannot get over with)

I was looking at this SSD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231220
    Is that a good one?
    The price seems reasonable and that SSD has an USB port, and that would make it more easy to copy/clone my current HDD over to that one.

What do you guys think should I do?

Thanks

2. FieryFurnace thread starter macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

No one has any suggestions or comments on my question? :confused:

I was reading a lot (forum and other site) and I really don't know what to do,...
    Would a SSD work well for me?

3. The Hammer macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother. Your worrying too much about the shock factor and i`'m sure you could spend the money on some nifty little Apple accessory instead.

4. FieryFurnace thread starter macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

thanks for your reply The Hammer
    I guess I worry a little too much about that - is true.
    My desk is just so shaky that even every key stroke makes the whole thing wobble around. And I type alot I think.

If I would go with a MLC SSD, would I notice those stutters a lot?
    I only use CS4 - I have like PS, AI, DW or ID open at the same time and maybe some Firefox windows - but only work in one at a time, then save and work in the other,... Is that the multitasking people have stutters with?