Should I get a Time Capsule or a Linksys Wireless N Router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SLR2009, Mar 23, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi I have several questions before I make my purchase. I've got 2 computers in my upstairs bedroom that are wireless. I currently have a Wireless router which is a Linksys WRT54G.

It's already getting on in age so I was thinking of replacing it with a better wireless router. I'm deciding weather I should go with a Linksys N or go the apple route.

Will I get faster internet if I go with a Linksys Wireless N? What is the difference between G and N?

I was thinking of getting a Time Capsule because I wanted an automatic backup of my data.

Is a time capsule going to perform the same as a Linksys? Which router is better?

what is the difference between Time Capsule and Airport extreme. Are they basically the same with the only difference being the hardrive?

If I get a Time Capsule then do I still need a Linksys router? Is it easy to setup a wireless network using a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme? Is it easy to configure as a Linksys?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

The difference in speed between 802.11g and 802.11n is significant. However, if you are only accessing the Internet, and you have less than a 20Mb Internet connection, you will notice no difference.

I should also add the TC can act as your router by itself.

3. azdunerat macrumors regular

You could always get the AEBS and plug in your own external HD and go that direction. I picked up the AEBS for around 150.00 and a 2TB external for 250, so I came in alittle over a hundred dollars less that the 1tb TC

4. zorahk macrumors 6502

I did this as well. Also you can use a USB hub and then plug in both a printer and a hard drive and you can use both that way.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

true that.

you can do the same with the airport express and save another 100$. keep in mind that 1TB externals go for 100$ at the cheapest so if you buy 2 of those you can save money that way too :)

6. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comments. I've got a cable modem which is hooked up to my Linksys router.

So I can purchase an Airport Extreme and hook up an external hardrive to it which would essentially work as a backup just like the Time Capsule?

So is it best to purchase a Time Capsule or an Airport Extreme attached to an external hardrive or just go with the Linksys Wireless N? What would you do? which is the better option?

My Mac Computer will be downstairs in the living room. Would the Time Capsule work with my windows based computers that are upstairs? Is it easy to configure a Time Capsule or Airport extreme? Thanks

7. shneady macrumors member

Yes, setting up the TC and AEBS is very easy. I've set up both of them, and it's essentially the same exact set up. Anyway, it all depends how you want to back up. If you don't mind physically backing up (which sounds like what you'll be doing) then go the AEBS route with the ext hdd set up. I recently just went the TC route because I have 2 macs and backing up wirelessly, physically myself and automated through time machine from both macs is just priceless for me. You can't automate a back up through AEBS with an ext hdd yet. Also the new AEBS and TC's are dual band, but so are the new linksys routers as well.

I have used a linksys 802.11N router and was quite dissapointed to tell you the truth. It lasted for 6 months before I just got tired of it and just went the AEBS route with my ext hdd and printer hooked up to it (huge bonus a year ago when I bought it. Not sure if the new linksys routers are capable of hooking up an ext hdd and/or printer) and I haven't looked back. The AEBS and TC are solid routers that give off an excellent signal that never drops. I think my AEBS for the whole year it was hooked up dropped the signal once compared to numerous times throughout the day, every day the linksys dropped the signal. That was frustrating.

In a nut shell, keep in mind in my own experience as I'm sure others will disagree, the AEBS is worth an extra $30 over the high end linksys router.
    AEBS: more solid, stable always full time connection, stronger signal - distance wise and speed wise, super easy to set up with airport utility (no need to visit crappy websites to set up the router).
    Linksys: Not as solid or stable, connection dropped a lot (at least 2 - 3 times a day), I had to unplug and reset it numerous amounts of times, speed was decent as long as your within range, but the range, not so good and it's harder to set up. You can either do it through the internet website or the software program it comes with which is no where near as user friendly as aiport utility... Anyway, yeah, I hated that linksys. Go with the AEBS, you wont be sorry... Also, as others have said, check out the aiport express too... That might be another option, but it's not dual band though, if you really need dual band.... anyway, hope that helps and sorry for the long post

-S

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

read my thread in the buying advice section, in short, AirPort Extreme all the way.

9. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the help :).

I'm a bit confused, if I get a Time Capsule then do I still need an Airport Extreme?

Last question. I've got 2 computers upstairs which are wireless. They both have a Linksys Wireless G adapter. I would like to upgrade them with something better. What wireless adapters can I get for my 2 computers? Thanks

10. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

No, the Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme with a hard drive....

11. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i would ONLY get the time capsule if you don't feel comfortable buying an external hard drive and connecting it via usb port.

12. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

May I ask why?

Can anyone answer my last question?

13. Moocher macrumors regular

TC/Airport Extreme/Linksys

Of the three, the Linksys will be the most difficult to set up. The Apple stuff, even with PCs, is just plain simple to get running correctly.

I don't know if the Time Capsule is as easy to set up as an Airport Extreme with a hard drive. If it is, maybe I should sell my TC?

Mooch

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Well I don't see why you would want to spend $120 extra for a 500gb hd in an AirPort Extreme. You can easily find a 1TB drive on newegg for around $100. Basically giving you 500gb and saving $20. And you always have the ability to upgrade your storage without getting a new router as you would if you got a time capsule.

15. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

The ONLY thing I had to do to setup my AirDisk (external hd connected to AirPort Extreme) was plug in the drive to the usb port on the AirPort Extreme. Seriously, that's it. If you have a mac, it'll show up automatically. If you have a PC, you just need to install the AirPort Utility that comes with the AirPort Extreme. That's it.

16. azdunerat macrumors regular

My reasons for not going with the TC was that I could connect an external HD to my AEBS doing essentially the same thing. Plus I was able to get a raid 1 HD giving me the security I wanted that the TC didnt offer, all for around 100 less.

17. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

18. SiliBear macrumors member

Similar to what another person posted above, I've had a couple Lynksis routers and replaced the most recent one with an Apple Extreme about a year ago. The Lynksis typically had problems and needed restarts and I don't seem to have any similar issues with the Apple Extreme.

Even more importantly (to me at least), the Apple signal seems far and away stronger. I used to have to use a signal repeater in my house to get a signal 2 floors away with the Lynksis router - not necessary with the Apple Extreme. It works beautifully.

As far as setup goes..well, my wife usually takes care of that duty given her IT background, so my knowledge isn't first-hand, per say. I can only tell you that I've heard her complain plenty of times when setting up our various Lynksis models (one of which also included a signal booster/separate repeater) while she was pleasantly surprised at how simple the Extreme was.

Feel free to take my install comment above with a grain of salt since it is only an account of what I was told the process was like, not having actually set one up myself. The stability of the router as well as the significantly better signal strength though I can vouch for directly.

I'd also agree with the comments that the Time Capsule is only an Extreme with a built-in hard drive - a function which could be easily replicated by connecting an external drive to the router. I'm guessing the TCs primary function is its relatively compact size for those people who set their wireless systems up inside in-wall panel boxes (like I do) that don't typically have lots of room or extra power outlets to spare in that tight space. If you are leaving your router on top of a table somewhere - get the Extreme.

You'll also enjoy the "N" speeds if you ever decide to pick up something like an Apple TV which allows you to stream audio or HD Video (movies) to any set with an Apple TV box in your house. A "G" only router can't handle the information volume of a high-quality live movie stream.

19. SLR2009 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info.

I have one more question. What Wireless N adapters work with either the Time Capsule or Airport Extreme? This would be for my Two PC's upstairs running Windows.

20. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I got this : http://www.rosewill.com/products/1200/productDetail.htm : from newegg for cheap. It doesn't broadcast in 5 GHz though, but it is a Wireless N adapter.

21. bielen macrumors regular

I just purchased the 500gb Time Capsule. I was deciding between the Time Capsule and Airport Extreme, but decided for the difference in price, it was worth it to have one integrated unit. I'm also purchasing an external RAID that will be connected via Firewire for video editing purposes. My feeling is you can never have enough storage or backups.