Should I get a USB Hub 3.0 or 2.0?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davidg4781, Jun 20, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I have a 2011 Mac mini with USB 2.0. I've been looking at getting a hub to help make life a little easier. At first I thought I'd "future proof" and get a 3.0 hub but, a lot on Amazon have this message:

Please Note:
    2.4Ghz wireless devices, such as wireless keyboard and mouse adapters, may not work in close proximity to USB 3.0 devices or hubs. Connecting to a USB 2.0 port is recommended.

This was on the Sabrent branded ones but Anker has a similar message.

Should I just get an older 2.0 hub? I think, by the time I do upgrade my Mac USB-C would be the main connection.

If I'm going with 2.0... anyone have some suggestions?

2. jarodlee88 macrumors member

jarodlee88

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have any wireless USB mice or keyboards connected to your Mac Mini? If not, there shouldn't be any issues

4. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Aren't USB 3.0 and 2.0 backwards compatible?

And I have a Magic Mouse and will probably get a Magic Keyboard soon, probably on the next Mac revision, in case they come with a dedicated Siri button.

Are those affected by the 3.0 or just like radio based keyboards and mice?

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Get a USB3 hub. It should work fine with USB2 devices.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. So I shouldn't have any interference issues with the Magic input devices?

7. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Be VERY careful here. I had a 2011 mini, and now have a 2014 mini. USB 3.0 operates at a frequency that absolutely interferes with Bluetooth devices. It was so bad with my HooToo USB 3.0 hub that my Apple Trackpad was unusable. My only solution was to get a Thunderbolt hub, a 2M Thunderbolt cable, and stick the hub and associated USB 3.0 drives very far away from the Mac. Even now, I still get occasional interference.

You can read more here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that's frustrating. Why would they even let USB 3.0 out without fixing this? I'm sure this won't effect everyone but I've seen it mentioned a lot around the internet.

I wonder if this is why Apple held off on 3.0, and why the ACDs never got them?