Should I get After Effects, or Final Cut Express? [no rhyme intended]

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by benjaminaho, Feb 17, 2010.

1. benjaminaho macrumors member

benjaminaho

Hi all! This is my first post as a new member!

Anyhow, should I get Adobe After Effects, or Final Cut Express? In my situation, sometimes I make small short films about 5-15 minutes long. I edit it on iMovie, but I want to be able to add effects, have more control over my editing, sound mixing, etc.

I am also looking forward to buying a new MacBook. With it, I am getting the Creative Suite. My original plan was to get the Web Premium, but now I am stuck between that and the Production Premium, because the Production Premium has After Effects. However the Production Premium does not have all the software I want, plus it costs more, etc! It's all a big mess, and I don't even know first of all, should I get Final Cut Express, or After Effects?! Help!

Thanks!
    Benny

2. GeraldButton macrumors member

After Effects and Final Cut Express are very different, well, they can do some similar tasks yes but After Effects is generally used for effects only. I have tried to make full projects in After Effects and after a few clips I always find myself going right back into Premiere.

If you want basic and simple effects with good control just go with Final Cut Express. If you want to focus more so on your effects and are really serious about them, well, then go with After Effects.

Also bare in mind the large price difference as well. Final Cut Express will cost you $200 or so, After Effects will cost you $1,000.

Hope this helps.

3. benjaminaho thread starter macrumors member

benjaminaho

This does help! Thanks! Now I know I will probably get Final Cut Express.:D

Correct me if I'm wrong; Final Cut Express mainly edits and cuts videos, and After Effects creates effects and enhances it.

However, what about green screens? Can Final Cut Express do those? I know After Effects can.:confused:

Thanks!
    Benny

4. GeraldButton macrumors member

Glad I could help.
    This is pretty much hitting the nail on the head right here. After Effects is well, for the effects AFTER the editing is finished, well, you could edit and do effects and then go back to editing, but most people I know compile there movies and videos THEN go into After Effects to add the magic.
    Final Cut Express can do Green screen with Chroma Key. Tutorials are available on the web for free and of course on YouTube. It's actually not to difficult after you do it once or twice.

Hope this helps.

5. benjaminaho thread starter macrumors member

benjaminaho

Thanks again!

Now I'm pretty sure if I'm getting After Effects, it will be after I get Final Cut Express. Especially for my purpose, I don't need top of the line movie effects, I think Final Cut Express would do the job for me.

[Sorry to keep asking questions but…] how about Final Cut Pro. I understand Pro is better than Express, however you can only get Pro with Final Cut Studio, which comes with six apps I don't need [meaning I don't need THAT much high end software]. Plus the studio costs about $800 more.

Does one think it is not worth it to get Express supposing there is rather much better software that is out [Pro]?

Thanks!
    Benny

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Express is basically the same as Pro with one or two changes. With FCS you are really paying for the other applications.

At this stage atleast you wouldn't benefit from any of the features of Pro over Express as they are mainly aimed at professionals using timecode, telecine etc...

7. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

BTW if your doing advanced keying after effects is better than final cut express/ pro. Pro only has chroma key. Ok for basic but no matter what you will always get side resedu. In after effects the best way would be like key light. Plus you have masking options for fit and finish. But if your primary goal is mainstream editing Final Cut express is the best

8. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

That's not really true; but if you're new to this Express should be enough for now and be spending your money far more efficiently.

9. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

Adobe After effects is really different from Final Cut Express.
    If you're looking at the Adobe line, Premiere would be be something to consider if you primarily want to edit.
    After effects as the name suggests, focuses intensively on special effects and isn't the best solution for editing footage to compose a film.
    If I were you, I'd go with final cut.

10. benjaminaho thread starter macrumors member

benjaminaho

What's Premiere? Not to be a simpleton, but is that the one that used to have the horse on it? Plus what does it do?

Thanks!
    Benny

11. GeraldButton macrumors member

It's very similar to Final Cut Express and Pro, and I do mean very similar.

12. benjaminaho thread starter macrumors member

benjaminaho

Hmm… I would probably get Final Cut Express, for it's cheaper.

Thanks!
    Benny