should i get an airport extreme base station?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by strausd, Aug 31, 2009.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

basically, i am wondering if the airport extreme base station really helps increase the range of wifi and if its easy to set up a printer on it. anybody got any advice or anything on this?

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Range compared to what?

Setting up a printer on my time capsule (same as AE, plus hard drive) was super easy.

I say if you need a router and you have a mac, go for it. Life's too short to waste time configuring a linksys or whatever, even if it saves you $50.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i really like the range on my airport extreme. in fact, i had two that were connected to setup an 800 foot link between them (wirelessly). so the range is great.

and i've also setup the printer very easily. it takes a little more to share the printer with windows, but it can be done

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Having had linksys since way back when and now having an AE. The set up was very straight forward on both brands.
    The tab names are slightly different but other than that the set up is nearly identical.
    the only reason I have the AE is fo the dual network capability.
    Stock set up it has two completely seperate networks 10.0.0.X and 172.0.0.x. Plus you can elect to share across the networks or keep them isolated.
    When my son has xbox/gaming parties they go on the 172 network.

the range of the WRT310, 410, 610 and the AE are pretty much the same. The WRT54G has the better antennas which affords me great signal strength everywhere in the horse hair plaster house. With the others there is one dead spot. Friends give me their old routers and I set up the security for friends and family's not familiar with the technology.

Printer set up/external hdd on the AE is extremely easy.

the AE is a very nice router with the features to back up the call for the extra cash. But it depends where your router is placed. My router is in the cellar but the printers are on the first and second floor. So networked printers are my solution. If you go that route look at HP, stay away from O'brother

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

If you're going to use it in 5GHz, I think it's well worth it. It has good range in 2.4GHz mode as well.

I connected my HP printer to the USB port, and wireless printing is very easy.... only thing that's not so good, is that it's pricey...

6. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

alright. so right now i got verizon fios, will i have to talk to them at all in order to set this up or does it not matter?

7. mark2288 macrumors regular

Just tell them you want to use your own router when they come. That way, they'll set it up so it uses Ethernet to connect to the main box instead of using a coax for their MOCA service or whatever. They'll show you how to release the IP on their router because you'll have to do that to have your AE get you a new IP.