Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

staunen2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2019
Was thinking to get an Apple Watch 4 mostly for use riding my bike and swimming, but can only afford the gps version. Is the convenience of having Strava (for example) on my wrist significant enough that the watch would be worth buying even though I’d still need to carry my iPhone in case of emergency?
Thanks

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For biking I don’t think it will be significant. For swimming it is since I don’t believe you could track swimming with iPhone, or as conveniently as with the watch.

The big question however should be was it ever annoyed you to grab iPhone to do simple things? Like you want to just create a quick timer but your phone is in another room? Maybe you want to track your sleep (more accurately)? Or you want to control the volume on your AirPods while your phone is in the bag or pocket?
Little things like this throughout the day just add up. If you have never felt annoyed by it then I’d say you don’t need the watch. But if you get this feeling often enough maybe it’s time..?

jdsmitty10

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
I always carry my phone in my pocket even with my series 4 gps. The little things like stated above are what make the watch worth it to me in my little over a month of having one. The other day, working in the garage washing cars listening to music on the JBL extreme it was so nice to skip songs/adjust volume without pulling my phone out of my pocket. Setting reminders, timers, etc as well make it nice. Just yesterday I was changing out winter wheels/tires on my car with dirty hands and just had to raise my wrist and set a reminder for the next day to re-torque the lug nuts.. so for me it is worth it. I don't run or even care to track things like that but definitely been worth it for me..

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
You do realize the “is it WORTH buying” question requires consideration of one’s disposable income, or what would be the next thing you buy if you don’t spend the hundreds of dollars on an Apple Watch?

The Watch is an accessory to an iPhone, a very useful one. But it is no where as versatile as the phone itself in terms of functionality. In other words, the Watch’s usefulness per dollar is much lower than that of the iPhone.

I value mine the most as a remote screen of my phone where I can monitor messages or reminders without pulling out my phone, particularly when I am with someone else or in a meeting.

I am blessed with a good job that pays well, so $ isn’t a big factor in this case for me. But if it is, I wouldn’t give up my lunch money to buy one.

staunen2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2019
You do realize the “is it WORTH buying” question requires consideration of one’s disposable income, or what would be the next thing you buy if you don’t spend the hundreds of dollars on an Apple Watch?

The Watch is an accessory to an iPhone, a very useful one. But it is no where as versatile as the phone itself in terms of functionality. In other words, the Watch’s usefulness per dollar is much lower than that of the iPhone.

I value mine the most as a remote screen of my phone where I can monitor messages or reminders without pulling out my phone, particularly when I am with someone else or in a meeting.

I am blessed with a good job that pays well, so $ isn’t a big factor in this case for me. But if it is, I wouldn’t give up my lunch money to buy one.
[doublepost=1553102518][/doublepost]I guess the significance of the convenience that'd come with an Apple Watch is something I wouldn't be able to gauge accurately until I had the watch and had used it for awhile. I think it'll definitely be useful swimming as matrix07 mentions above, but beyond that I'm not sure. Didn't mention above, but I am chaperoning a student trip to Europe in April and thought it'd be easier to keep my iphone secure if I could check send/receive group texts from my wrist. Even that might end of being tedious, though (reading texts from 50 people on a wrist sized screen ...)

It just might be an Apple Watch is something I want more than I need, as silverblack suggests, and I'd be better off finding a different way to measure my swims, and investing in a new iphone with a better camera for the trip.

Thanks for the feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.