Should I get an iMac instead?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xXSL1MXx, May 10, 2011.

1. xXSL1MXx macrumors member

So I have the 2009 13" MacBook Pro. Great computer, but like all computers, is getting slow.
    I am in need of an upgrade, but I'm not sure whether or not to get this recently upgraded iMac or another MacBook Pro.
    I am a sophomore in high school who loves to surf the web, multitask, check emails, youtube and my favorite, write ESSAYS:)()
    I originally chose the MB Pro due to it's portability. I had a Dell desktop before and hated how I was stuck to one place and how it was soooooo LOUD. Now, however, my situation has changed. I own an iPhone 4 and iPad 2(well, it's the family's but still:D). These two devices allow me to be all over the place w/o needed a computer.
    -------------
    I'd really like a laptop, but there are some reasons that are making me think it over:
    *I have never taken my laptop outside of my house in its 2 years(crazy, i know)
    *The specs compared between the iMac and the MB Pro have great differences.
    *I already have access to the family's iPad, though it's not the same as having a personal device.
    *I saw the new iMac at the Apple Store. The 21" is HUGE. The 27" is just GINORMOUS. it's display is beautiful, is it HD?
    Reasons why I want to stick to a laptop:
    *Portability throughout my 2 story house; I can go and type essays where ever I feel like it.
    *ugh,...that's all I can think of!

If I were to stick with a laptop, I'd be getting the 2012 refresh(looking for a redesign).

iMac Specs:
    2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    1920 x 1080 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    500GB hard drive1
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB
    MB Pro:
    2.3GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333MHz
    320GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2

What do you guys think? Are the iMacs and the MB Pro's really that far off?:confused:

2. darknite38 macrumors regular

Why is your macbook pro getting slow? I have the same as yours, same needs as you, and I do not need a new mbp or iMac.

3. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

That's what I want to know. Whenever I have more than a couple of applications open, it gets slow, with the little spinning rainbow circle. I can't be surfing the web while being signed in on messenger and have iTunes playing in the background without getting the rainbow circle.

4. darknite38 macrumors regular

If you really feel that it is getting slow, add more ram or an ssd. You don't need to go out and spend thousands of dollars on a new computer. Take a step back and realize that you really don't need a new imac. Your current mbp is fine.

5. darknite38 macrumors regular

Here's a tip, your macbook pro right now has 2 GB of ram. The reason why you are getting those spinning beach balls are because you are low on ram. Try buying 4gb of ram on newegg.com (goes for around $40) and your computer will be MUCH faster.

6. xXSL1MXx thread starter macrumors member

Completely true. I hope that the new RAM will solve the slowness. Thanks. :D

7. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

Buy the full 8GB...it's worth it!

8. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

$40 for 4GB
    $200 for 8GB

I'm thinking $40 is more than enough for what he's using his macbook for, yet he could go for 8GB if he wants it future proofed.

9. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

10. darknite38 macrumors regular

All this person needs is 4 gb, I use my computer for the same uses as him and I am fine. This really is a great macbook pro and while there are faster computers now like core i7's, I really don't need it because I am not rendering video or anything. I'm simply multitasking on the internet, looking up word documents, watching youtube videos, and playing the occasional light game. This computer is perfect for it (I have 4gb of ram) and it should get the job done until it doesn't work anymore.

11. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Definitely up the ram. If you can, do the ssd upgrade too. That will really offer a nice performance increase. Loving my mbp with the ssd.

12. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

People are selling lots of things as "HD" these days... when it comes to computer/TV displays, please take note that the number of dots on the screen combined with the screen size are what will make you go WOW (that's why your iPhone screen looks so great). A couple of neat links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television#Notation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixels_per_inch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density

The common HDTV resolutions are 720p (1280x720) and 1080p (1920x1080). To answer your question, the 21.5" iMac's display native resolution is 1920x1080, with the 27" being higher at 2560x1440.

You will also see people selling laptops/TVs and calling them "HD" with resolutions of only 1367x768, which technically counts as 720p, but some people might be expecting 1080p, etc.

Personally, I think 1367x768 on anything more than 13" looks like ****. That's usually what you'll get with a cheap "HD" PC laptop with a "big screen (13+)" and "great graphics." :rolleyes:

Just got mine for $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148276

13. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

Since when did 4GB become necessary to do what he does?

14. darknite38 macrumors regular

A very long time ago, I have 4GB, I do what he does, and right now I'm at 1 GB free. 2GB is way too little today in 2011. If I had 2GB of ram, I would already be 1GB over and my computer would be very slow.

So yes, 4GB of ram is a necessity today.
    I rest my case.

15. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Then what, 3GiB? Time to binary search! :p

16. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

Running Windows 7 with 2GB I was running at 25-32% usage with nothing open and never came close to maxing it with standard stuff. I guess OS X really isn't that great for lower speced computers.

17. HBOC macrumors 68020

Try repairing permissions/verify permissions under disk utility, that may help. Have you performed all the software updates? Clearing the cache in Safari will help I am sure as well.

4GB would definitely help as well. How much free space is on your hard drive? what model hard drive do you have?

18. bbolsm macrumors newbie

Get AppleJack ...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/applejack/

and perform a deep clean:
    - restart your PB and hold <cmd> <S> on the keyboard
    - the screen will go black and fill with white code (don't be afraid)
    - when it stops writing, you will see a login prompt
    - tpye <applejack AUTO> exactly as given
    - let it run and restart when finished (type <r> at the prompt).

This little program looks scary bit is the best cleaning utility you can get. That way, you'll get rid of a lot of slowing bits and pieces in your system.

And uh: GET MORE RAM !!!