Should I get an iMac now or wait for the new model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mtthwcmn1, Mar 2, 2012.

  1. mtthwcmn1 macrumors member


    Oct 9, 2011
    Also if you say buy now or later do you suggest I get the 21.5" or 27" model. I currently have a mid-2010 27" 3.2GHz i3 model.
  2. iDuel macrumors 6502a


    Jul 20, 2011
    If you absolutely need a Mac now, then it would be a wise decision to buy one now. If you can wait, then it may be in your best interest to do so.

    As for the display sizes, that is really a matter of opinion. You'll need to see them both in person. My choice would be the 27" for the increased screen real estate.
  3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2009
  4. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    You have not provided enough information to really answer your questions. And In truth, only you can decide what you want.
    • You don't say why you want (need?) a new system.
    • As for screen size, you have a couple of things to think about:
      1. Will you be happy with a smaller and lower resolution screen? Go in to an Apple store and play with both sizes of iMacs.
      2. Apart from the resolution, will the 21.5" iMac meet your needs, or do you need the 27"? (Processor, Graphics)
    • How long can you wait before you need to get the new iMac?
  5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a


    Sep 8, 2011
    I say wait. you already have a 2010 model running i3. what's the rush for a few months earlier? I vote for 27 because you already have a 27 so might as well go 27 again or you'll feel something is missing when using the new model.
  6. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2011
    Absolutely wait. You already have a 2010 model. You could even skip this upcoming refresh and go for the next one in 2013.
  7. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

    Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    I've a 2006-06 white plastic 24" iMac, and we use it all day long, from surfing and working on digital photos / videos to games and watching movies / shows to MS Office apps and so on… maxed out the RAM years ago, and the horse keeps chugging along. When the new iMac's come out, there will be one coming my way - given that it has the upgrades that I'm hoping for,,, if not, I'll get a refurbed previous [right now current] model. Ours has lasted ~6 years, w/o anything more significant than the RAM upgrade and a logic board a few years ago. Still, if quite fast… but I'm eyeing some new photo / video s/w, so therefore the high interest in newer stronger faster better model. YMMV :cool:
  8. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

    Dec 12, 2010
    I would suggest a 27" Refurb. 2011 or 2010 if it makes sense price wise. I've had my 2011 21.5" for a while now, and there is still no use for the thunderbolt port for me... you waited long enough to be able to get a refurb 2011, so get it!

    I had a hard time deciding between 21.5 and 27. I chose the 21.5, but I regret it now. The way I figured it, my 21.5 would always be a great stand alone computer, for the living room or whatever for the next 5 years. Also, i figured the base 21.5 would have the best resell value, but the 27's are still pretty high!
  9. imswimmin macrumors regular

    Apr 6, 2011
    I don't really know why you need a new iMac, but no matter what it is, if your current machine isn't cutting it, then you obviously should get the current one. If you are able to delay "the pain", then wait for the next generation.
  10. bobright macrumors 601

    Jun 29, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

    I would wait and am, you've waited this long. I know if a new model came out within 3-4 months or so I'd really regret the purchase of one.
  11. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601


    May 10, 2010
    With what you have you can wait few more weeks/month ... I would ...

    And stay with 27" if money and space allows ...
  12. MadMichael macrumors newbie

    Feb 9, 2012
    MY Question for you is: Has your current iMac died or is still chugging along, if you answer yes to it dieing ,get a new one, if it hasn't died the upgrade is not worth it. I am using a early 2008 20 inch iMac that is maxed out on ram and it works great except beachballs a lot in iPhoto but then I bought my Mac Pro 1.1 off Craigslist for using iPhoto and I do not have any issues of beach balls on it.

    I tend to get used as keeping my eyes open I snap up pretty good deals and if I do not really need the computer there are others in my family that are not as fortunate as I am that really could use a reasonably nice computer for them selves and I get to be the hero in my family....

    All my computers that I get or have are more then able to handle anything I throw at them and the newest is my late 2008 MacBook Alum. I think that folks get way over excited over the latest and the greatest thing when what they actually have is working fine for them and then it is also they "just have to have the newest" as if it is a badge of honor. Just my opinion.
  13. Mr Rogers macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Wait until update model


    I'd wait until late April/early May for 2012 revision - given expected update is not too major; speed bump in CPU/GPU and a few other minor changes, it will almost certainly pay to wait and then go for a refurbished BTO i7 27in 2011 model.

    The refurbished route offers you either a refurbished 2011 iMac/ or if lucky a brand new one - it does happen as these boards attest too.

    You get a full 12 month Apple Warranty and with saving can invest in AppleCare and max out RAM and still have change in your pocket.

    Given the Sandy Bridge i7 quad core is already fast, a 2011 iMac should have a good 3-4 years life and have a reasonable resale value similar to the last of the 24in iMacs from 2009.
  14. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

    Oct 11, 2008
    Same boat with the same model (late 2006 Intel). I'll probably upgrade when the new one comes out...but not really happy about either getting a smaller screen (21.5) or a big one (27).
  15. 7thMac macrumors 6502

    May 10, 2010
  16. NextGenApple macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2011
    Not much differences in Sandy to Ivy apart from GPU& Usb 3 unless there is a redesign pointless waiting,Just to say you have 2012 model.

    Attached Files:

  17. NextGenApple macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2011
    pointless waiting unless you need that GPU Look at differences, not much if any. I bring facts to the table.

    Attached Files:

  18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020


    Jan 25, 2009

    Your iMac is not old and is pretty powerful. Do you really need to upgrade it now? Or that's just you wanting the last model? If so, wait, absolutely.
  19. NextGenApple macrumors regular

    Oct 10, 2011
    Some Sandy bridge TDP are even lower than Ivy, its all a marketing ploy by intel to make you want latest, since 2nd generations chips these chips are very powerful & can last a long while. Each to their own, but don't let companies hold you to ransom with their marketing, they want your money. The current iMacs will do fine 7 a superb Job what ever you throw at it.
    I had to research myself to find this out, glad i did, the gains are very minimal to say the least, unless you are waiting for something specific IE USB 3 ETC, i would buy now and have no regrets what so ever.

    Remember Thunderbolt is faster.
  20. SteveCarriere macrumors member

    Mar 14, 2012
    We decided to keep our iPads (First Gen, WiFi and iPhone 4) because as sweet as the new stuff looks, our current iPads/iPhones are doing what we need - email, internet, music reader for my gigs, book for my wife, a cookbook, and the kids also have some stuff on them as well. While the screen and speed might be nice, it's not necessary. A hard decision as we like to have the newest stuff.

    We have our portable computing and communicating needs pretty well covered.We're thinking we'd be better off updating our iMac desktop. It's way old - maybe 5-6 years - and is starting to show signs of age. I was going to get a new iMac this weekend, but am not sure after seeing an update is around the corner. However, we are not "power" users. OUr iPads actually do everything we need. However, I' alike to use new iPhoto/iMovie software to get some family pics and movies sorted out and put together.

    For a simple user like me, do I really need to wait/pay for an upgrade? I'm thinking a "current" iMac would be fantastic.
  21. Seamaster macrumors 65816


    Feb 24, 2003
    Search is obviously broken on your current one, so get a new one.

Share This Page