Should I get an Imac now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by needsmet, Nov 15, 2011.

1. needsmet macrumors newbie

I have been planning on getting an Imac for a while now. I have my eye on a refurb. I have been out of the Mac community for a long time, so im completely out of the mac loop. Due to finances, I was absorbed back into the PC world. The Pc world is a very sad place to be!

I see on the main rumors site that they recommend not buying right now unless you need it because the Imac is near the end of its cycle.

Im assuming that this means that a new model of the Imac comes out on a regular basis and its near that time. Christmas would seem like a perfect time to roll out new models to boost sales.

is there a new Imac coming out anytime soon based on when new models have come out in the past? Id hate to be in that commercial when those poor people buy a new computer only to find that the next day and newer and better model came out.

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

there is like 10 of those posts already, but most things point at an update around april when Ivy Bridge is released. :)

3. needsmet thread starter macrumors newbie

What is Ivy bridge and is it worth waiting for?

4. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Its the new generation of processors from Intel, the current ones are running Sandy Brigde. I don't know, i don't think i would notice the difference so i just went ahead and bought a 27" a week ago. No regrets! ;)

5. radiohed macrumors regular

If you can wait, it will probably be worth it, but if you really need a computer now, buy one. The current iMac is a great machine that will provide you with years of service. :) The biggest reason I am waiting until the next release, is that the iMac is due for a redesign, which will probably be another amazing design from Mr Ives. But either way, you will be happy with what you get. :D

6. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

If you just surf the web and listen to music, it won't be worth it. :rolleyes:

7. spyroskoun macrumors newbie

I am interested to buy a new iMac also. I want to upgrade my 24" iMac 2.8Ghz. I wait the new release.

8. Xikum macrumors 6502

Buy it now if you want it now. If you are just using the iMac for basic use (you know, surfing, music, typing essays, etc etc) then the current line up is perfect. Ivy Bridge won't bring anything new to the table for you unless your doing intensive CPU tasks.

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't Sandy Bridge have 2 generations? If this was the case then Ivy Bridge would most likely be better off the 2nd time around. I just got an iMac a few weeks ago...the display makes you want to do everything on there lol. It's ridiculous :S

10. theSeb, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, you're wrong.

Edit: I understand now what you meant by 2 generations. No, I don't consider the minor speed bumps in the chips introduced half way through the year to be another Sandy Bridge "generation".

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Some of the processors got a very minor bump in base clock speed around September. It wasn't a big deal. Ivy Bridge isn't supposed to be as big a deal as its replacement in 2013. What matters is how often you feel the need to upgrade. Depending on what you do with it, you may or may not notice the difference.

12. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

If you're looking at a refurb, you're not going to get hurt by buying now.

13. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Ivy Bridge is the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge. ;) New socket type will come after Ivy.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

elpmas may be referring to Sandy Bridge E, which is arguably a second gen Sandy Bridge.