Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Looking to finally upgrade from my 2013 27" iMac. I really want the new i7 Mini so I can add my own monitor. I have my eyes on the 43" LG. But what holds me back is the lack of GPU, so I am also open to getting another 27" iMac possibly. The iMac is less exciting to me since it looks exactly the same as my current machine. I don't really do much intense GPU stuff, but I have been thinking about starting a youtube channel soon. Any advice? Could I get away with a Mini? Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Another vote for the Mini.
Get the i7.
If you want 8 or 16gb of RAM, get it "from the factory". I'd suggest 16gb.
500gb is "the best value" in SSD size.
You can save even more $$$ by buying from Apple's refurbished store (I did, very satisfied).

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
I bought the Mac mini i7 with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. The previous 2008 23" Apple Cinema HD Display is connected via an adapter (Thunderbolt 3 to DVI). Also, I am using my 2008 aluminum keyboard that came with my Mac Pro. I would suggest that you buy a hub to connect external storage.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I would advise to wait on a new iMac. It may be less sexy, but it will allow you to get the job done better than the Mac mini ever could. Shame on the inability to use your own display, and it will cost more though.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
The i7 Mac mini 2018 is perfectly capable of handling mundane 4K video editing tasks. Hell, my iPhone XS can edit the 4K/60Hz video it shoots. There are television commercials, TV shows and films being shot on iPhones.

Note that video encoding on the Mac mini 2018 is executed in hardware by the T2 Security Chip. The GPU is not a factor for this usage especially because it isn't a bread-and-butter activity, just something you are "thinking" about.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Nice place to be – I'm sure you could get away with either, so there's no bad choice, but there's definitely a difference – I'd also had a 2013 iMac following a 2011 Mac mini (connected to a 40-inch TV, I believe it was), and both served me well.

I upgraded to the 27" iMac from 2017. I would definitely not describe this iMac as looking "exactly the same" as my previous one – there's no comparison with the still-best-in-class Retina display. I've considered whether I should return to the (now much more capable) Mac mini next time around, but my main question is whether any third-party monitor could outdo the beauty and reliability of this one. (14 million pixels, and none have ever stuck.) I also can't forget how much I appreciate the relative lack of cables using an iMac.

The glitzy feeling of a big change is nice, but doesn't last. Gratification at having made a well-considered choice and using the thing every day for years, does.

Bonne chance!

Reactions: servenvolley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.