Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhunt999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I currently have a 2008 MacBook. It has a 250 GB Hard Drive, a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB Memory. I run Logic Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and have many songs and photos on it. It is slow opening the programs, and sometimes my computer freezes up because it takes so much memory.

I was wondering whether i should get an iMac or a MacBook Pro. I heard the new MacBook Pros will come out soon, which I would probably wait to buy instead of buying the current one.

Currently, the iMac (that I would buy) specs are:
27" inch display
3.20 GHz processor - Intel Core i3
4GB RAM (should I buy the $200 upgrade to 8GB?)
1TB Serial ATA Drive (I think I would buy the $150 upgrade to 2TB)
+AppleCare Protection Plan
Total cost (with the 8GB RAM & 2TB Hard Drive): $2,218.00

Currently, the MacBook Pro (that I would buy) specs are:
17" inch display
2.53 GHz processor - Intel Core i5
4GB RAM
500GB Serial ATA Drive
Total cost: $2,648.00

If i got an iMac I probably would keep my current Macbook. If i got an iMac, the apps i would have would probably be: Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Pro Tools, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, iWork, and maybe Aperture.

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
The mbp is just so awesoe. The imac is like the audi a8 big and family friendly but the mbp is like the r8 great but only for one individual.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Definitely the iMac but not the one you listed. Keep your eye on refurb store. Quad core i5 goes for as low as 1529$. Then add 2x4GB RAM (less than 100$) from aftermarket to make it 12GB. That is a much better configuration for less $.

You will definitely appreciate the extra screen estate and horsepower so buying another laptop sounds stupid IMO. You can still use your current when portability is needed.

rhunt999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Definitely the iMac but not the one you listed. Keep your eye on refurb store. Quad core i5 goes for as low as 1529$. Then add 2x4GB RAM (less than 100$) from aftermarket to make it 12GB. That is a much better configuration for less $.

You will definitely appreciate the extra screen estate and horsepower so buying another laptop sounds stupid IMO. You can still use your current when portability is needed.

thank you! i never even thought about buying a refurbished one. i appreciate it!

Bozola

macrumors regular
My new Standard Operating Procedure is as follows. Everything that I want to do with a computer can be done on either my iPad or my iMac. For surfing the web, casual email games, and movies and a few apps. I like the comfort of the couch/chair/bed, the iPad rocks for that. Everything else, I like a desk with a big screen. Photoshop, iMovie, Gaming etc. The MBP rocks, but it's not comfortable in either location imho. Good Luck!

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
i bought an imac and love it.. however every time i go out of town i wish i had just bought a mbp and an external monitor (to keep at home).. then id have the best of both worlds.. plus id feel better about not having to leave my $1600 imac (my most expensive item) at home while im gone....

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
I picked up an base 27" imac at best buy a few days ago and it is AWESOME. Opening programs is quicker on my MBA thanks to SSD but this thing is nice.

Probably going to return it within my 14 day window.. (bought it this tuesday) because I'll likely grab something off the refurb apple store, at the very least i can get my same model right now for 260 dollars less.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
I currently have a 2008 MacBook. It has a 250 GB Hard Drive, a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB Memory...

I have a whitebook 5,2 with the 2.0Ghz CPU and the 9400m Nvidia GPU (I think this is the machine you are describing, correct?) = I maxed it out at 4Gb of the PC6400 RAM before anyone had even said it would support it (it works fine BTW and is now a "supported" upgrade).

I also installed a 128Gb SSD and its a very good machine now...

Why don't you try maxing the RAM and adding a 64 - 128 Gb SSD (they are much cheaper now than when I got mine a year ago) and even if you don't like its new speed the laptop will be that much better a portable machine when you do want to take it some were!

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
It's funny, I have a mid-2007 iMac and I'm thinking of getting a MBP by the next upgrade. I'm very much enjoying my iMac but I must confess, I miss the transportability of a laptop I was used to all those years before.

Anyhow, have fun with your iMac, you seem to need the extra boost with those programs on your list. And keep us posted! :D

amnost

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
United States
Normally I'd say get the iMac first and then a new MacBook Pro some time afterwards. But the iMac is due for a refresh, so you should definitely hold off.

Don't buy anything until Apple announces new iMacs.

dougeb

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
Pleasant Hill, CA
I currently have a 2008 MacBook. It has a 250 GB Hard Drive, a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB Memory. I run Logic Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and have many songs and photos on it. It is slow opening the programs, and sometimes my computer freezes up because it takes so much memory.

I was wondering whether i should get an iMac or a MacBook Pro. I heard the new MacBook Pros will come out soon, which I would probably wait to buy instead of buying the current one.

Currently, the iMac (that I would buy) specs are:
27" inch display
3.20 GHz processor - Intel Core i3
4GB RAM (should I buy the $200 upgrade to 8GB?)
1TB Serial ATA Drive (I think I would buy the $150 upgrade to 2TB)
Total cost (with the 8GB RAM & 2TB Hard Drive): $2,218.00

Currently, the MacBook Pro (that I would buy) specs are:
17" inch display
2.53 GHz processor - Intel Core i5
4GB RAM
500GB Serial ATA Drive
Total cost: $2,648.00

If i got an iMac I probably would keep my current Macbook. If i got an iMac, the apps i would have would probably be: Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Pro Tools, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, iWork, and maybe Aperture.

I suggest you get the high end refurbished iMac, if you do not need the power in a laptop.
Should you need the power in your laptop, get a refurbished MBP i7 & a refurbished 24" Apple Display. Get the 15" if you do not need the card slot. (I got the 17" because need slot for RS232 Card).

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I see you've made up your mind but my vote would have been to wait and see what Apple comes out with in the new MBP's..... They might go the route of the MBA and make it all flash SSD hard drive... that would make your little slow app opening issue a thing of the past ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.