Should I get an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacGurl111, Dec 5, 2014.

1. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

To be honest, I would love to have an iMac.

I have spoken with a publisher who would love for me to write a book. After thinking everything through, I think I will just go ahead and accept the offer.
    I have a laptop, 15 inch rMBP, the question is do I need an iMac?
    Writing my book requires some research and moving around from screen to screen and of course, the real estate is an added bonus for what I am currently doing which is writing, sharing, etc.
    What are your thoughts?

2. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the book deal! :)

A more affordable option would be to get a larger screen for your MacBook and having everything on the same computer without the need to sync is an advantage.
    But I'm guessing you are spoiled by your rMBP screen so you'd need a pretty high resolution display to match that.

What would the advantages of an iMac be for you, besides the screen?

3. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thank you!
    I have this very large software call Logos with 4,000 books in it. I will be using it to write the book. Using that on an iMac instead of my MBP would be better.

Other than that, I don't really have an answer. And yes, I love my retina display. I won't settle.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If you can afford it why not.

Well if you have the money, it's something you want and it will help productivity and potentially make you more money then it seems a no brainer to me go for it. 5K imac for you then...

5. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

The retina doesn't come in 21.5? :eek:

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No, only 27 inch.

7. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Sorry for having so many questions! LOL :eek:

If I got the 27 inch, would everything look stretched? Not sure if that's the correct term.

8. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

No, you'd just have a larger screen, with the ability to have larger/more windows displayed than you do on a MacBook Pro.

9. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

I'm a writer, and I prefer to work on a desktop. One reason is because I often have several things open simultaneously -- such as a Word doc, a PDF and a PowerPoint deck -- and the bigger screen makes it easier for tasks such as viewing docs side by side.

I have a 13" MBA, mainly for when I'm on the road. Most of my work is done on an iMac and, more recently, a Dell desktop. In fact, I bought the Dell partly to get an even bigger screen.

10. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

If portability and money isn't an issue, then getting a retina iMac is a no-brainer.

I have Logos myself and as you know, it's not the speediest of apps. It will definitely benefit from the increased horsepower.

11. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I'd love to have to that option. More windows! :D

Thank you everyone!

----------

I wanted to say something about Logos being a resource hog but thought perhaps it's just my slow rMBP! Thanks for clarifying that!
    Do you have Logos 6 as well?

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Another option I have not seen mentioned yet is if the 15" Retina is fairly new, just keep that and use it with an external 27" monitor. The Retina should be plenty powerful enough for your work and you would only have one computer to worry about keeping updated and backed up etc.

I use a 13" Retina as my only computer and when home attach a 27" external monitor and Apple Bluetooth KB and mouse and it works out nicely.

13. rainydays macrumors 6502a

That was actually exactly what I suggested above :)

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... I missed your post.

15. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Nobody has asked what the book is about. So I will. What is it?

16. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

The book will be non-fiction, Christian, and a devotional. Women's devotional.

Thanks for asking!

17. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Doesn't sound like it will hit the bestsellers list. But best of luck.

18. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Doesn't matter to me if it hits bestseller list. I have a large audience who are waiting for a book from me. That's all that matters. Thank you, though.

19. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Congratulations on the book deal.

Make sure you need an iMac. You can write wherever you please on a notebook, whereas you'll have to sit on your desk whenever you feel like writing if you want to use the iMac.

If you want an iMac, the retina iMac seems to be a good option for you, just remember that it's a bit on the expensive side. Take a look at the spec sheet (http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/specs/) and make sure a 27-inch iMac fits on your desk or whatever is the place you plan on using it, it's a large computer.

20. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Still on Logos 5. Haven't made the jump yet. How are you liking it?

21. cynics macrumors G4

Congrats on the book deal.

Business venture? Tax write off? If so go for it.

I dated a girl that was a writer although it was more for medical journal stuff. I bought her a 27" iMac but she couldn't sit still so she would always used a laptop. I ended up adopting it lol.

I thought she could use the extra screen space because she needed tons of windows open. But she just couldn't sit in one spot long enough to appreciate it.

22. MacGurl111 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

Thank you! Yes, I need to consider that! I love going to coffee shops, too!

----------

I love it but this new layout takes up screen space. Lots of clicking on arrows to close a panel. It's a large file, so if I do too much it will freeze my laptop on occasion. I really do love it. :D I picked up the Reformed Silver to add to my collection! Amazing stuff. :eek:

----------

Great idea. Not sure why I didn't think of that. We do have a business license for my blog and everything. Awesome! :D