Should I get an iPad 2 now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vampireszombies, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

    May 20, 2011
    Is it wise to get an iPad 2 rather than the new iPad or the unreleased iPad?

    Is the Retina iPad really THAT much better? Say..$150-200 better?

    Right now I'm looking at a 32GB iPad 2 for about $470 in mint condition.
    I went today and played with both at bestbuy and side to side compared. The retina was beautiful, but the price to me wasn't. I always feel better about my purchases however when they are the newest and a little bit more future proof.

  2. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601


    May 10, 2010
    In general iPad 2 is still a sold device. But functions like Siri from iOS 6 seams not supported. The require a new iPad.

    And for me the retina is better and worth the money. But that subjective; others say different.

    If your focus is on social media, email an web the iPad 2 is a good fit.
  3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020


    Feb 16, 2012
    I would wait till the new one comes out just to see if there are any more price drops and if that might suit you better, don't want to have to take it back if it turns out being more suited to your needs, what ever form it may take.
  4. davidinva macrumors 6502a

    Mar 29, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA
    I had the same dilemma and bought an iPad 2 and took it back to get the new iPad. For my older eyes, the retina display, the better camera, and more memory were the deciding factors.
  5. Peace macrumors Core


    Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier

    There will be a bump in specs probably in Sept.-Oct.

    Buying an iPad 2 now then seeing the price drop would make you feel like you should have waited.
  6. LastDayDawn macrumors newbie


    Aug 26, 2012
    United States
    Wait till the new iPad is released as others have said above me.

    Why? The price is most likely to drop when a new iPad is released and perhaps the new iPad will suit your needs and be less expensive than the iPad 2.
  7. Ddyracer macrumors 68000


    Nov 24, 2009
    Get the iPad mini ;) The rumors are wild with a Oct announcement, and a imminent release is likely.
  8. chris7777 macrumors 6502

    Nov 27, 2008
    I went back and fourth myself. I got mine to draw on, mostly.

    I was set to buy a cheapo ipad 2, when I got offered the deal of a lifetime of an ipad 4g 64 gig, for $500. I just couldn't turn it down at that price.

    I am so glad i didn't settle. I have a few drawing apps that were still low res when I first downloaded them, only to have them upgrade to retina resolution and look that much better.

    I know games like infinity blade have extra detail like running water you just cant see on my retina ipod touch.

    The ram is also a dream. I have been having issues with my ipod forever. My ipad just takes everything I throw at it and chugs on thru it. Sure its more money. But it really is worth it.
  9. vampireszombies thread starter macrumors 6502

    May 20, 2011
    iPad 2 below $450? and iPad 3 around $450? hmm.
  10. Badrottie Suspended


    May 8, 2011
    Los Angeles
    iPad 2 for me for some reasons…. Siri is not for me why? I am DEAF! iPad 2 is more light than new iPad. iPad 2 is not too hot than new iPad. It is cheaper than new iPad. :apple:
  11. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816


    Mar 13, 2009
    I chose a used iPad 2 to save some money and am perfectly happy; took a look at the retina iPad at the store and, for my purposes, don't feel like I am missing anything.

    That being said, this close to a release of a new iPad, even though it's a mini, I would probably wait until after to see what happens to he pricing of older iPads.

Share This Page