Should I get an iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sheza, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

I'm a student in high school, and here in the UK they are very strong on rules such as not using a mobile phone. I don't consider it a nice experience, trying to squeeze usage out of my iPhone 4 during class time, not learning anything, having to look up every few seconds to see if I've been caught etc. You can't even use them during break/lunch. So I don't do that. And as such, my iPhone barely gets used (too fiddly to use as a home-browsing device anyway)

So I can get an iPad 2 if I sell my iPhone 4. But is that the right thing to do? Will I just end up using my iPad less and less like I do my iPhone 4? What's to stop me from chucking it aside and going on my computer which is in my room anyway?

I really want an iPad, Garage Band looks very interesting.... but I'm not sure if I'm just betetr off keeping my iPhone 4.

It's alright if you don't want to offer any advice but please don't make "common sense" or "you're a kid" comments.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It sounds like you don't need it at all. Want, now that's another story...

3. fanboy05 macrumors regular

ipads are a "want " not a "need" if you don't have the money to spare, and have to sell anything for it... wait till you can afford it...
    the time will come when you have money in savings where you wont have to sell stuff to get "wants" and then it will be fine. the iphone4 should take care of your semi- "needs" for now.

ipads are great dont get me wrong, but so is putting money into savings so you can afford things like college ect...

4. 03sho macrumors 6502a

Amen to this.

5. Sheza thread starter macrumors 65816

Sheza

College/Sixth Form is free in the UK, it's University that costs so much. I have a separate savings account that I contribute to all the time.

Anyways - thanks for the advice thus far :)

6. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Selling your iPhone 4 for an iPad 2 - not a decision I'd make. Chances are you won't be able to use iPad in class either, you can't take the iPad everywhere you go because it's enormous and it has a rubbish camera apparently.

iPhone 4 much more portable, can make phone calls, great camera, great retina display, battery lasts an age and you get more apps.

I don't really think there is much competition, iPad compliments an iPhone. It should not be used a substitute.

7. Sheza thread starter macrumors 65816

Sheza

Oh yes, I am fully aware I won't be able to use my iPad in class ;)

The point here is that I barely get a chance to use my iPhone 4 anywhere other than my house anyway due to crappy rules.

8. Cambridge1973 macrumors newbie

I would not sell my iphone 4 to get an ipad.

If you already have an iphone 4 and a computer at home - and you have restrictions in place on when and where you can use your devices - then you should get the ipad only if you really want something you can use to surf the web, etc. while lounging about the place and you can't live without the touch screen surface.

I have an iphone and a mac book pro. I bought the ipad for someone and I've tried it and really like it. I might get my own. It fits a need in between the phone and the laptop that I didn't realize was there until I used it at home.

Not sure if that helps.