Should i get an ipad now?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Feel free to wait for a refresh if you don't mind waiting until next April at the earliest.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Do you really want it or are you just mildly interested? If the latter wait. I'm thinking the next refresh will get FaceTime capability and maybe even a Retina-style display like the iPhone 4. Probably even improve on the already impressive battery life too.

Richard8655

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago
should i purchase one now or wait for a refresh?
Purchase now. The technology is already revolutionary and the next refresh will only be incremental in any small changes. Plus, you could get run over by a bus tomorrow and never have known.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
Purchase now. The technology is already revolutionary and the next refresh will only be incremental in any small changes. Plus, you could get run over by a bus tomorrow and never have known.
good way to put it

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I do not expect any changes for 6-8 months. I suspect the iPad will be on a yearly refresh cycle much like the iPod and iPhone.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If you like the product currently or you are OK with it, take one now. Ownership will cost you around $2-400 in the next year at the most.

I would get one, if I liked the product. Many of us don't, so we'll wait. Maybe we'll never give in. But in the end, the refresh might come in three months or in six. Do you really want to wait and then getting upset about some basic function missing?

Buy one and enjoy it! If you cannot, don't even bother with the idea of the iPad.

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
Wait till April 2011. Faster A4, front camera, (no F&R for Face Time like iPhone) better battery life, and 5 months to work out the bugs from iOS 4 for iPad in November 2010. :apple:

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I'd definitely wait.

That way it's one more iPad available for my friend who is ready/willing to buy and will now have a better chance of getting one.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I bought one without knowing exactly why I'd want one, and found plenty of uses for it, so I think it's worthwhile getting one now. Plus you can impress more of your friends this year than if you do without an iPad for another year, when everybody will have one. Buy the smallest size to keep the price down and have fun!

tunerX

Suspended
Nov 5, 2009
You should get one now. I enjoy my crappy old first version everyday. I am still not enjoying the one that may be released next year.

macpro2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2005
If you're considering it at all now, just get it. Otherwise it's going to be a long 9 months.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
I was on the fence, but ended up getting one. Then a week later had to get one for the wife....

I still use mine constantly and have begun to hate when i am forced to surf on one of my laptops instead of my iPad. It's just so easy to use and navigate....

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
If you're considering it at all now, just get it. Otherwise it's going to be a long 9 months.
As we all should be aware by now: there is NO guarantee of a refresh next year since they still can't even make enough to keep the current generation in stock. It is entirely possible you could find yourself waiting until Autumn 2011, or even early Spring 2012, before you see the debut of iPad 2.

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
As we all should be aware by now: there is NO guarantee of a refresh next year since they still can't even make enough to keep the current generation in stock. It is entirely possible you could find yourself waiting until Autumn 2011, or even early Spring 2012, before you see the debut of iPad 2.
Highly unlikely as the production ramp up will be full bore by Sept 1.

There will be 100 million iPads world wide by the end of 2012. :apple:

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Buy it, don't buy it. Who cares? Really only you can decide what you want to do.

If you really wanted it bad enough or if you needed it, you would have bought it already. Obviously you don't so why not wait and maybe it will be the product you want/need in the 2nd version.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Apple mobile products hold value well. I sold my iPod touch for nearly full value when iPod touch 2G came out. Buy it now and resell it later if the refresh is worth it to you.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Highly unlikely as the production ramp up will be full bore by Sept 1.

There will be 100 million iPads world wide by the end of 2012. :apple:
As far as production, I am sure Apple will be able to meet demand eventually. That's not the problem. The question here is whether Apple will switch gears entirely and produce a new iPad 2 model just six-seven months after finally reaching a point where you can walk in and just buy the current generation iPad. I highly doubt that will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.