All iPads Should I get an iPad or a surface pro 3 for my usage?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vmflapem, Sep 10, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I have a rMBP and I'm thinking of buying a tablet that I can use for note-taking purposes in lecture.
    I've tried both devices and I realized that note taking is not optimally supported on an ipad.
    How do students normally use their ipads (I don't play games on tablets)? And as a student, which of the 2 devices do you think is better?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Honestly, for overall use I'd say the surface has more to offer a student. I own an iPad and love it but if I was a student trying to replace a laptop or whatever then the Surface is closer to that goal.

If you are heavily invested in the Apple "space" via apps and songs then it's more debatable. Still, the Surface is the more complete system for a student, IMO.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Even being a die hard Apple user and owner of two iPad Air units, I would suggest the Surface Pro 3. It is awesome.

4. Altis macrumors 68030

I'll third that. For students, your best bet is SP3. If you want to stick with Apple, a MacBook Air is a better choice than an iPad. Students often need to view two applications side by side (such as when taking notes from a web page), or be able to flip between the two without having your page refresh.

Being able to use USB drives/printers and hook up an external monitor are also very useful for a student, and the stylus with active digitizer is great.

5. kaielement macrumors 65816

Let's not forget you can get office 365 on both devises wirelessly print and get keyboards for both. So unless you have a specific program that only runs on windows you need for school it's really a tough one. If you own all apple products I almost lean more toward the iPad. If you can wait to see what apple announces in a month or so that might be a good thought.

6. enthusiastic macrumors regular

I had a Surface Pro 2 and iPad at the same time for a while. For note-taking, Surface > iPad. No questions asked. Plus Surface Pro is a full fledged PC as well. As others said, if you like to be a deeply involved with Apple ecosystem, then iPad is the way to go.

What is your major? In my field, I rarely have to use Office. So the tablet is mainly for note-taking and PDF reading/annotating. So iPad does the job for me. It may be totally different for you.

7. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone it really helped me decide which one I really need.

I'm in medical sciences, so there are lots of diagrams that I have to draw & write on. When i use pens, it's so hard to redraw them when i make mistakes (and it also looks ugly).

I think sp3 is the right choice for me in this case.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I see a lot of doctors/nurses ditched iPad in favor for SP3 for many many many reasons. :apple:

9. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

The ipad is a stellar device--but for student work--esp anything quant or designish, the surface is a better choice.

Please do yourself a favor and get to MS store or BestBuy and try the pen.
    I got it as tablet and skipped the touch cover.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I might get one only if I am selling my Windows 7 desktop PC. :apple:

11. enthusiastic macrumors regular

Then a sharper tip Surface Pen may be more useful to you. iPad does an OK job when taking notes, but it isn't the most accurate and the wrist-rest gets tricky at times. Surface doesn't have those problems. Also, you don't have to set aside some when-I-have-my-computer-I'll-do-this tasks like with the iPad.

If note-taking is the only thing you will be doing on the Surface, getting the non Pro (RT? whatever it is called) may be a financially wise choice. Because that comes with MS Office as well. Since you already have a Mac, the PC capabilities of a Surface Pro may be surplus to you.

Also, don't forget Microsoft has a 10% discount for students.

12. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the awesome tips!

13. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

RT version does not have the digitizing pen!

14. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I used an iPad for school just fine. I left my laptop in my room most of the time. I had a keyboard for times of heavy typing and I had a stylus for classes where I needed to take more fluid notes.

Yes the iPad could use some improvements when it comes to handwriting etc. Smaller pickups and a few levels of pressure wouldn't be bad things.

It also helps when your professors have signed onto the whole iTunes U thing so they have copies of all their slides, lectures etc for you so you don't have to bother with copious notes. That really helps. That and texts that you can get in ebook. I found that the most useful cause my classes had lots of books. My professors also had our readings in PDF.

only one of these things that can't be done on a Surface is iTunes U. But if your teachers aren't playing that game it doesn't matter as much. however with the changes coming up in iCloud and iOS 8 you might decide to stick within one system.

----------

I did it just fine without having them on the screen at the same time. Just takes a little getting used to.

dropbox, AirPrint and a digital adapter with an HDMI cable. issues solved.

----------

given the circumstances yes it could be. Yours is a use case where drawing etc could be very very important and useful. and at a level of detail that is greater than even some design work needs.

15. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

just get i tunes for windows

16. Bromio macrumors 6502

I have been looking at both devices because I am in a similar situation. In my opinion, SP3 is closer to a laptop than to a tablet, but it isn't a normal laptop. It's a laptop with tablet traits, which would allow you to take notes or read PDF easily.

If you were looking for just a tablet (just reading, browsing...), I think an iPad would be the better choice. However, if you want a laptop, SP3 is unbeatable. That being said, as you have explained that you will sell your current computer, SP3 is the nearest device to your necessities.

17. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

I just published a review I have done on the Surface Pro 3.

http://wp.me/P4NbDG-2C

I found it a great device with some silly flaws that you can overlook but it all depends what you want it for. This is not a tablet with easy to use optimised apps for on the go and it is not a replacement for a Macbook as it is a totally different eco system.

What it does offer you is the best of a laptop in an ultra compact package, but at a premium price compared to a traditional laptop. I realised it is what an Ultrabook should of been.

But what do you want it for is again the question, if your a student or a professional it will be of value to you, the Surface pen, the OneNote quick launching and Office all add up to a good machine plus USB 3.0, a proper File System and the ability to run full programs such as Photoshop.

You can watch youtube videos on the commute and go straight to word processing and email at work. If that sounds familiar then this is for you.
    If you just social network and stream a bit of video or play candy crush then go for a dedicated tablet.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Not sure if it's for all Universities or just specific ones but Microsoft just recently began offering Office for Mac, PC, and iPad for free for students. This goes a long way towards adding productivity to the iPad in my case since I had refused to purchase Office for a tablet before.