Should I get an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boba7523, Sep 27, 2012.

1. boba7523 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I just sold my MBP because i'm looking for something even lighter, even more portable. I'm thinking about buying the iPad, but am really not sure if it's going to work for my intended use. I don't have an iPad to try out so my best bet was to ask existing iPad owners.

Here's what I'd like to achieve with the iPad:

1.) Take notes in class via an app similar to Microsoft Word (formatting, style, etc). And every time I save the Doc, it will be saved into my Dropbox folder, which will then be synced with my desktop at home. Is there an app that has an almost identical formatting style as Word, meaning if I take notes in my iPad and go home and open the doc in Word, the formatting is not going to look messed up?

2.) I'd like to read eBooks/pdf files on my iPad and simultaneously take notes at the same time without having to exit the app. This, i believe, is asking for too much out of an iPad but thought i'd ask. Perhaps there's a Cydia mod for it?

3) Again, i'd like to watch Youtube or open any other video players and be able to take notes at the same time without exiting the app.

Am i asking for too much, or is this achievable?

I'm also waiting for Microsoft Surface to come out as that MIGHT be more of what i'm looking for, but an underdeveloped app store + a brand new OS are what's keeping me away from it...

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

1 is doable. 2 is doable for pdf; for epub, Apple's iBooks app has an annotation feature, but I'm not sure you can export the notes. But 3 is out -- there's no way you can run a video and do anything else on an iPad at the same time. I think if 3 is important to you, you should consider a MacBook Air. Even for 1&2, an Air might be best, as it's much easier to type on a physical keyboard than on iPad's on-screen keyboard. You can add a bluetooth keyboard to an iPad, but then, you are carrying about the same bulk as the 11-inch Air.

3. Stevi, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Stevi macrumors member

Stevi

Ditto what Night Spring said.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard, but I'll be honest it doesn't get much use. I've got quite used to the on screen keyboard. However the keyboard does mean that half the screen is taken up by the keyboard. So if I need to see the full screen the Bluetooth keyboard is the better choice.

4. bp1000 macrumors 65816

As amazing as the iPad is, i love mine, probably my fav gadget i think a MBA would be a little more flexible for your needs.

I have my ipad next to me whilst typing this on a MBA. Quick weight test and the the ipad feels around 2/3rd's to half as heavy as the mba. But the MBA is not exactly a burden to carry!

Typing quickly on the ipad isn't as great either. It doesnt have the physical touch obviously and the key spacing doesnt feel as good as a physical keyboard. The lack of physical touch input often leads to mistakes for me when trying to type quickly but i'm sure you would get use to it.

5. boba7523 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replies guys. MBA it is for me. :cool: Looks like a tablet still cannot fully replace a laptop just yet.