Should I get an iPod touch 5g now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by J. J., May 30, 2014.

1. J. J. macrumors regular

J. J.

I had decided that shortly after WWDC 2014 I would get a 5th gen iPod Touch. But then I started being not so sure: should I wait for the 6th gen instead? If it'll be released this fall I can wait, but what if it won't? So should I really buy a 5th gen iPod touch or should I wait?

2. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

There have been no rumors of a 6th gen iPod touch; a new iPod touch is not expected this year. Speculation is that the next iPod touch will come in Spring 2015. So I would buy an iPod touch now if I needed one.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Depends on what you want/need. I personally wouldn't even buy an iPod touch these days but that's just me.

4. bmxracer macrumors member

bmxracer

I'd go on and get one now, as it could be a while for a new one to come out, and this one is very good, you will enjoy it.

5. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

If you think there is even a possibility of a new touch: wait. See what happens Monday. Maybe the prices will drop, maybe there will be cheaper refurbished models... WHO KNOWS!

Not all the rumors are true, and a lot of times things are released which weren't rumored!

6. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

No. You could either keep waiting for an update that will probably not happen anytime soon, or should get one now if you want one now.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I would rather go find a good deal on a uses iPhone 5 or 5c. No point in the iPod touch with its current specs IMHO. Once the iPhone 6 is released a uses 5 or 5c will go for lower then a new or uses iPod touch.

8. J. J. thread starter macrumors regular

J. J.

Thank you for your answers. So I'll probably buy an iPod touch 5g. I'm not buying an iPhone because I have just switched to an Android phone, so I'll keep both and use android as phone.

9. joshisaboss macrumors member

joshisaboss

In Australia you can get an unlocked 4S or a 16gb iPad 2 (both of which has the same SoC/RAM as the Touch 5) for the same price so I'd consider that a much better deal.

10. J. J. thread starter macrumors regular

J. J.

I know but both iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are quite old and they'll stop getting updates soon

11. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

The iPod Touch 5th Gen. is also quite old now.

12. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Get a refurbished iPod touch now. Cheap, comes with warranty.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

There have been absolutely no leaks of a Touch update this fall which indicates that a new release probably will not be until spring 2015. Get a refurb Touch 5 and sell it if/when the Touch 6 comes out.

14. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Against the wind perhaps... but with a 4.7" iPhone coming I see no reasons why the Touch wouldn't be upgraded to 4.7"

15. 617aircav Suspended

It will. Maybe just not this year.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I think the 5th Gen touch is the last of the iPod touch line... would it really be worth their time and effort to put in the A7 or A8 chip in it at this point? They sell too many iPhones now to stick with the iPod Touch. Nano and shuffle at least have a place in being a tiny player.

17. na1577 macrumors 6502a

During WWDC Apple talked a lot about "iPhone and iPad" but the iPod touch was almost nowhere to be found; I think it was only mentioned once. It also isn't used in any of the promotional images on Apple's website. It seems Apple may be preparing to kill it this year. I'll be really disappointed though, I wanted a 4.7" iPod touch.

18. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

If that's what you want I would go for it... I think it is a great little device:) they will still be selling the iPod touch 5 after the release of ios8... So if they don't release a 6 u can still get the 5.

19. cammykool macrumors regular

I don't know. Even the 4G I JUST got runs fine on iOS 6. And almost everyone I know has a 4g and an android phone (like me) or a dumb phone.

So a 5G should be fine.

20. Ffosse macrumors 6502a

The 5 is old and running on 2011 specs.

I don't think we'll see another iPod Touch - either this year or next Spring.

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Age has little to do with it. The Touch 5 runs IOS 7.1 very well and I expect it to rune IOS well.