iPod touch Should I get an iPod touch 5g now?

J. J.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
I had decided that shortly after WWDC 2014 I would get a 5th gen iPod Touch. But then I started being not so sure: should I wait for the 6th gen instead? If it'll be released this fall I can wait, but what if it won't? So should I really buy a 5th gen iPod touch or should I wait?

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I had decided that shortly after WWDC 2014 I would get a 5th gen iPod Touch. But then I started being not so sure: should I wait for the 6th gen instead? If it'll be released this fall I can wait, but what if it won't? So should I really buy a 5th gen iPod touch or should I wait?
There have been no rumors of a 6th gen iPod touch; a new iPod touch is not expected this year. Speculation is that the next iPod touch will come in Spring 2015. So I would buy an iPod touch now if I needed one.

bmxracer

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
I'd go on and get one now, as it could be a while for a new one to come out, and this one is very good, you will enjoy it.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
If you think there is even a possibility of a new touch: wait. See what happens Monday. Maybe the prices will drop, maybe there will be cheaper refurbished models... WHO KNOWS!

Not all the rumors are true, and a lot of times things are released which weren't rumored!

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
If you think there is even a possibility of a new touch: wait. See what happens Monday. Maybe the prices will drop, maybe there will be cheaper refurbished models... WHO KNOWS!

Not all the rumors are true, and a lot of times things are released which weren't rumored!
No. You could either keep waiting for an update that will probably not happen anytime soon, or should get one now if you want one now.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
I would rather go find a good deal on a uses iPhone 5 or 5c. No point in the iPod touch with its current specs IMHO. Once the iPhone 6 is released a uses 5 or 5c will go for lower then a new or uses iPod touch.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
Thank you for your answers. So I'll probably buy an iPod touch 5g. I'm not buying an iPhone because I have just switched to an Android phone, so I'll keep both and use android as phone.

joshisaboss

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Earth
In Australia you can get an unlocked 4S or a 16gb iPad 2 (both of which has the same SoC/RAM as the Touch 5) for the same price so I'd consider that a much better deal.

J. J.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
In Australia you can get an unlocked 4S or a 16gb iPad 2 (both of which has the same SoC/RAM as the Touch 5) for the same price so I'd consider that a much better deal.
I know but both iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are quite old and they'll stop getting updates soon

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
There have been absolutely no leaks of a Touch update this fall which indicates that a new release probably will not be until spring 2015. Get a refurb Touch 5 and sell it if/when the Touch 6 comes out.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I think the 5th Gen touch is the last of the iPod touch line... would it really be worth their time and effort to put in the A7 or A8 chip in it at this point? They sell too many iPhones now to stick with the iPod Touch. Nano and shuffle at least have a place in being a tiny player.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I think the 5th Gen touch is the last of the iPod touch line... would it really be worth their time and effort to put in the A7 or A8 chip in it at this point? They sell too many iPhones now to stick with the iPod Touch. Nano and shuffle at least have a place in being a tiny player.
During WWDC Apple talked a lot about "iPhone and iPad" but the iPod touch was almost nowhere to be found; I think it was only mentioned once. It also isn't used in any of the promotional images on Apple's website. It seems Apple may be preparing to kill it this year. I'll be really disappointed though, I wanted a 4.7" iPod touch.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
If that's what you want I would go for it... I think it is a great little device:) they will still be selling the iPod touch 5 after the release of ios8... So if they don't release a 6 u can still get the 5.

cammykool

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Anaheim, California
I don't know. Even the 4G I JUST got runs fine on iOS 6. And almost everyone I know has a 4g and an android phone (like me) or a dumb phone.

So a 5G should be fine.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
The 5 is old and running on 2011 specs.

I don't think we'll see another iPod Touch - either this year or next Spring.