Should I get an MBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rhythmic-, Aug 21, 2013.

  1. Rhythmic- macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    #1
    I've been on the hunt for a new Notebook for the past couple of months and at one point, have narrowed it down to 3: Lenovo Twist, Lenovo Ideapad Yoga, and an MBP. My sister recently picked up the entry level 2012 13" for college; I've been messing around with it a bit, and I'm really liking OS X. So yeah, now it's probably my only choice.

    My question is, should I get it now or just wait for the new one coming out this year? Will this year's entry level MBP be similarly priced, and will Haswell provide a big enough difference from last year's model? I was thinking about waiting for the new one, but Micro Center's currently selling it for $999.99 and that's a pretty good deal. I do plan to upgrade to SSD and get 8GB/16GB ram if I do get the '12 version, so how would that upgraded MBP compare to this year's model? I know it's hard to compare the two when we know next to nothing about the 2013 model, so will the 2012 model with those upgrades I mentioned above last me a good 3-4 years?
     
  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #2
    Do you need it now?
    No? Then wait until at least October.
    Yes? Buy it now.

    If you need something buy it, if you have the money. If you don't, wait until the rumored October release and see what your options are. You can likely drive yourself nuts chasing current technology. This is the age old question with an age old answer that all too few seem to understand.

    Here's the kicker. Today's model will last just as long as the next model in terms of years. That is, buy today and you have 3-4 years from today. Buy in October, you have 3-4 years from October.
     
  3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

    bbeagle

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2010
    Location:
    Buffalo, NY
    #3
    Wait until after the September 10th event. It's only 20 days away.

    If you're starting school, it's okay to be without a laptop the first couple of weeks. I would definitely wait for the improved battery life as you'll be able to use your laptop longer without a power source. That alone (to me) would be worth the 2 weeks you won't have a laptop. No papers will be due in the first 2 weeks anyways.

    If you need a computer in the next 2 weeks, use this time to figure out where the college's computer facilities are and how to use them, so you're better prepared in the event your laptop is stolen or broken.
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    The september event is for the iPhone, so I wouldn't set your expectations too high. If you need it now, get it.

    Other then the battery, there's not much to the Haswell chipset, a small bump in performance and maybe a better GPU. I'd say if you're in the market to buy one now, then go for it. If you can wait until October then it couldn't hurt to see how things shake out.
     
  5. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #5
    Yes.
     
  6. blueroom macrumors 603

    blueroom

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #6
    IMHO a laptop is all about battery life. That's why I'm waiting for Haswell.
     
  7. Erphern macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    #7
    ...And 802.11ac. Everyone seems to forget that. It's what I'm waiting for.
     
  8. Rhythmic- thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2012
    #8
    Thanks guys. I'm not exactly in the hunt for one for college haha.

    Ah, so Haswell isn't that much better performance-wise, than the current one? I also see that there's some differing opinions on SSDs improving battery life around the 'net, but is there a general consensus? About how many more hours will Haswell provide, exactly?
     
  9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #9
    Exactly? 0.94 Hours. Seriously? How is anybody supposed to know this... Haswell doesn't exist in the MBP's. :)

    The power savings for SSD's is negligible (sometimes higher).

    And why aren't you considering the MBAir?
     
  10. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

    KingKen1986

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    #10
    If you need the macbook or want the macbook now, get it now. I didn't even get the retina MacBook Pro, got the i7 2.9GHz 13 inch with 8GB ram. I would recommend the one I got cuz you get more hardware for your money if the retina screen isn't a must. The screen it has on it is very crisp and is perfect for day to day use. But yeah if you need it now or want it now by all means get it now. Your not going to notice a huge difference between Haswell and the current MacBooks in my opinion. Mostly a performance in battery life and graphic's on the the 13 inch. I don't get why people think the hd4000 on models like mine isn't enough. I play games and do everything else just fine with the hd4000, no hiccups. Hopefully this helps you out a little bit, having had just bought a current MacBook Pro myself. OP, If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. I would be more than happy to give you more info on what the current MacBook Pro's are like. :apple::D:apple: p.s whatever you do don't get any of those other notebooks for the sole reason that they aren't macs and they don't have OSX....which is so much more enjoyable than windows 8.
     
  11. jxie0755 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2013
    #11
    Yes you should.

    Cuz there won't be any MBP after October.
     
  12. KingKen1986 macrumors regular

    KingKen1986

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    #12
    What do you mean there won't be a MBP after October? There is most certainly going to be a MBP after October....Where are you getting your information?
     
  13. GSPice macrumors 68000

    GSPice

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    #13
    The rumor is that the non-retina MBP is going to be discontinued - and that info is all over Macrumors.
     
  14. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #14
    Maybe means there won't be a cMBP after October. This is a possibility. Apple could go all-retina. IMHO that won't happen for another year but it is possible.
     
  15. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

    VanillaCracker

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2013
    Location:
    Washington D.C.
    #15
    The Haswell 13" has much better GPU performance with the new Iris 5100. I would absolutely wait.

    I don't even use GPU heavy tasks (other than gaming), but if you're an average Joe, you will notice difference in battery life, and other than that it'll be similar. For me, it's a no brainer to wait. But I'm not one to take convenience over having the latest tech.

    Btw (having read through the comments now), Haswell should provide at least a couple hours more battery. I'd say 2-3
     
  16. dragonjinse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #16
    You're going to think about it again in september..
    And people are going to tell you to wait for October.

    So if you NEED it = buy it now
    if you don't need it = wait for about 2 months

    Good luck
     
  17. jxie0755 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2013
    #17
    I mean Macbook pro with regular screen.
    People now believe there's a high chance that regular MBP is going to be terminated, like the white plastic macbook. Apple may do it to simplified the production line. Cuz if you look at the fact, they haven't update the regular macbook pro for quite a while (since june 2012), and they usually update it every 6 months.
     
  18. andrew8404 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    Location:
    Loma Linda, Ca
    #18
    I'm in the same boat but decided to bite at the 999 macbook pro with the 100 dollar apple store card. I mean you really can't beat that price thats saving 300 off the newer one. I bet you could even sell your macbook for 900 next month if you really wanted to.
     
  19. thermodynamic Suspended

    thermodynamic

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    I'm tempted

    The rMBPs (2012) are sluggish with the higher resolution, I want mobile, I want RAM and HDD expandability, so I might get a high-end non-retina 15".

    The 2013s might all be non-upgradeable, rMBP or otherwise.

    Or I might switch my licenses to Windows for almost the same amount of money and not need to worry about what hoops Apple wants its customers to jump through. They've been slowly absconding the professional and prosumer markets with Final Cut Pro, more gimmicks, a Mac Pro touted in theaters where the market being addressed (lower upper middle class folks) aren't going to care either way about a miniaturized glossy ash tray that WILL overheat (based on the power put into it as touted...)
     
  20. Webb macrumors regular

    Webb

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    #20
    Get it now,if you wait for the latest,you will never buy anything,this isn't the 60's.
     
  21. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #21
    Well there is a difference between waiting forever and trying to keep up with technology than waiting 3-6 weeks for a completely new model with good improvements and getting the best bang for your buck.
     
  22. andrew8404 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    Location:
    Loma Linda, Ca
    #22
    Is it really the best bang for your buck if your saving 300 dollars vs an older model?
     
  23. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #23
    It's about the improvements that are coming in the newer model. I've been waiting since the spring, no way would I buy the current rMBP then or now. The point is, people are not always waiting forever. It comes down to smart decision-making.
     

Share This Page