Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
When the latest Macbook was released last week, a lot of people jumped on quite a deal- getting the "old" Macbook at a MAJOR savings. Of course, these sold out in a few hours.

I expect the same massive price cuts to the current Macbook Pro's, once the new one is released.

So, my question is this.
1) What is a good price for today's Macbook Pro, once the new one comes out? I'm tlaking about a 15".

2) Any reason to suspect there will be some new hardware feature that makes the new MBP much better than the old? Is there something people HATE about the current MBP that will be fixed? Keyboard and latch are cosmetic things I am not too concerned with.

3) Any reason that Leopard will be better on the new MBP than the old.

4) If all that changes is a faster processor, and maybe they make them all black or something to match the new iMacs, the old ones should be fine-- no?

PS- I absolutely have no care about the LED screens. I cant figure out why I would want a more expensive screen, when the current screen is just fine (battery life isnt a big concern for me).
What I do want is a fast Mac which can run XP and Leopard well.

Thanks-

Dynamyk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2005
Toronto
If those are your needs then the current MBP will suit you just fine. Wait till the updates incase something does come out that intrigues you, otherwise buy an older one after the price drop :)

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think the only hardware difference will be the LED screens, which you seem to underappreciate. They're important because they will reduce power consumption, and hopefully slay the grainy and uneven qualities of the current mbp displays. Remember also, that if Apple does put in LED screens, they probably won't change the price point, so you probably won't pay any more than you do now.

Whether or not it will make a difference for Leopard is mere speculation, only a small percentage of people have access to this information, but don't worry about it not running, Apple supports technology for a very reasonable amount of time.

Where did black iMacs come from? That was just a rumor.

Other than a slightly faster processor (which will also have better power management) and a higher FSB, there probably won't be a big difference between the current mbps and what should be out in the coming weeks.

Just wait for the updates, and then decide if you need the features that will be offered in the refreshed version, or if a refurb for less will suit your needs.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I thought it was going to be at least $500 cheaper. Weren't the balck Macbooks on Amazon going for like $1050 the day the new MB came out last week?

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
It's more than possible. The current prices at the refurb store are pretty damn good.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...rowse&mco=3929D548&node=home/specialdeals/mac

Core 2 Duo Blackbook for $1049, the Rev 1 MBP is down to $1299. Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo was originally $2499 and is now $1499.

I doubt they'll be $1500, but they'll get down.

Just checked the site.
The MBP C2D's are about $500 off- good deal. But worth the chance?
I want to wait until the new one is released, but then I need to jump in like 1 hour if I want the old one.
So can someone tell me what feature in the new MBP would make you get the new one.

Is it "the latest machine" factor?
Is it a new color/ cosmetic look factor.
Is it a bump up in speed?
Is it a keyboard change?
Is it a latch change?

I guess the question is, what possibly is left to be improved on the current MBP which would warrant a $500-$700 surcharge (vs getting the old model)

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
depends on whether the new updates are any better at all.

here's a good example.
right now, i can save some money buying a macbook that is not the latest revision without any penalties. the cpu speed difference is minimal, the GRAPHICS isn't improved, and the only thing i liked was the hard drive upgrade, however i can easilly sell and buy a higher capacity hard drive.

therefore, for me i would buy the old macbook, because there's no good reason to shell out some more money for the newer one.

now, if this pattern also affects the macbook pro, then considering the older rev isn't a bad idea, especially when you are tight on money.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
depends on whether the new updates are any better at all.

here's a good example.
right now, i can save some money buying a macbook that is not the latest revision without any penalties. the cpu speed difference is minimal, the GRAPHICS isn't improved, and the only thing i liked was the hard drive upgrade, however i can easilly sell and buy a higher capacity hard drive.

therefore, for me i would buy the old macbook, because there's no good reason to shell out some more money for the newer one.

now, if this pattern also affects the macbook pro, then considering the older rev isn't a bad idea, especially when you are tight on money.

One thing that people assume is the Santa Rosa chip will be part of the upgrade.

But does this really make a difference? I thought it really would only have been a benefit to the MB, not the MBP given the integrated graphics in the MB. Is there something else that Santa Rosa would get the average MBP user? Nominal speed increase? Everyone talks about some front bus thing, but i have no idea what that means, or if I should care (first time Mac user here).

Thanks.

vagarach

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
Santa Rosa comes with:

Support for much higher clockspeed cpus
Draft N wifi (which the MBPs have had for a while now)
A new integrated GPU with hardware support for transform and lighting
The 'robson' flash memory
800Mhz FSB

Of those, a new improved Santa Rosa MBP will benefit from the faster cpus, flash memory, and the faster fsb (when 800Mhz RAM is available), all of which will simply make things faster, and will at no point in time prevent you from running a piece of software.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Prediction- MBP with dual LCDs (internal and external)

Santa Rosa comes with:

Support for much higher clockspeed cpus
Draft N wifi (which the MBPs have had for a while now)
A new integrated GPU with hardware support for transform and lighting
The 'robson' flash memory
800Mhz FSB

Of those, a new improved Santa Rosa MBP will benefit from the faster cpus, flash memory, and the faster fsb (when 800Mhz RAM is available), all of which will simply make things faster, and will at no point in time prevent you from running a piece of software.

So the FSB doesn't do anything until you trade out your memory chips? So if you never trade out your memory chips, there is no difference?
This sounds to me like a new MBP will not make a lick of difference to the avg user, vs the old.

UNLESS.... Apple decides to do some new hardware thing like dual LCD's (inside and outside the laptop). I know Vista supports this, and Apple won't want to copy, but truthfully, I bet Apple wishes they thought of it first since it is a great idea. What they will do is implement and use it better than the windows systems.

So my new prediction is Leopard supports a tiny external LCD, and the new MBP will be the first to offer this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.