Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
my SSD usb3 enclosure gets 250 read/write and as far as i know is not UASP.

if i but a UASP usb3 enclosure for my 250gb eve 850 SSD will i get significant faster speed from this ?

my SSD can go as fast as 500MBs in theory

thanks fro any advice on this subject :)

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
With a UASP-enabled enclosure you should be getting around 400MB/sec.

This one I have used with great success:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGS3U3/

It's not the cheapest tho..

oh ok,
so a UASP enclosure should get me up to around 400MBs?

i have seen one on amazon thats only a little dearer than the one i bought

i wasn't sure if it would make a difference,

i wonder should i send my new enclosure back to amazon and get the UASP one instead ...

i use it for video editing, so wonder if the extra speed will be noticed when editing ?

ps im in UK

cheers

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
oh ok,
so a UASP enclosure should get me up to around 400MBs?

i have seen one on amazon thats only a little dearer than the one i bought

i wasn't sure if it would make a difference,

i wonder should i send my new enclosure back to amazon and get the UASP one instead ...

i use it for video editing, so wonder if the extra speed will be noticed when editing ?

ps im in UK

cheers

I have about 4 of these and the UASP works on my iMac, Macbook Pro and Windows laptop. Well worth it for the performance boost.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-S2510BMU33-Aluminum-External-Enclosure/dp/B00FRMC18A/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1428584356&sr=8-8&keywords=startech+2.5+uasp

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've been booting and running my late-2012 Mac Mini from a plugable.com "lay-flat" USB3/SATA dock (with UASP) for more than two years now.

First I had an Intel 530 series SSD in it.
About a year ago I changed to a Crucial m500.

Below are the BlackMagic benchmarks I get from it:
Are speeds like this acceptable to you?

Attachments

• m500 Speed Test 11.2.14.png
    m500 Speed Test 11.2.14.png
    366 KB · Views: 205

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I got one from Startech I just discovered when plugged at certain ports it either becomes unestables or in some way causes interference with the wifi card (my mac disconnects from networks).

I fitted on it an 1tb WD Red NAS I use for time machine and acrry from my older mac.

Its very fast and stable on the rigth usb port, but on the wrong port its an shame.

All seems an Power load issue, since the WiFi card works attached to some USB port, as well I have an Video Capture dongle also plugged, the capture dongle dont have any problem (usb 2), its happens only to this enclosure.

Maybe with an more efficient drive less power hungry (as most SSD) this issue will not happen again.

I think the issue is not startech fault, but apple fault since all the ports shared Power is not enough.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Here is the one both the wife and I use for our Samsung 1 TB SSDs.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimized-Ina...e=UTF8&qid=1428591193&sr=1-3&keywords=inateck

yeah i was looking at this one on amazon uk for £16 might get it.

----------

I've been booting and running my late-2012 Mac Mini from a plugable.com "lay-flat" USB3/SATA dock (with UASP) for more than two years now.

First I had an Intel 530 series SSD in it.
About a year ago I changed to a Crucial m500.

Below are the BlackMagic benchmarks I get from it:
Are speeds like this acceptable to you?

i got a sam 850 , and I'm getting 250 read and write, so i guess it would only be worth it if i was getting 400 isn read write with uasp which i think some people are getting .. hopefully i will

----------

Why don't you make sure your current enclosure is or isn't UASP before researching replacements?

I'm sure its not. i looked into it more and unless it says ausp , its not.
the speed I'm getting also indicates this, and it was cheap .. but recommend by the people who said buy the sam 850.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.