Should I get an upscaling/converter DVD player?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luminosity, Feb 7, 2008.

1. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I just bought a 26 inch Magnavox LCD TV (to be precise, the model number is 26MF337B), listed at being 1080i/720p capable. I have regular DVDs, and I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to buy an upscaling/converting DVD player, or if I'm better off just sticking to what I already have (a four year old 480p Samsung DVD player that's pretty standard stuff).

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I got one and it made a huge difference. I would say it's well worth it.

3. luminosity thread starter macrumors 65816

luminosity

That's what I initially thought, but a review of a good Sony upscaling DVD player gave me some pause. It led me to question whether it would make much of a difference with a 720p resolution, instead of 1080p.

4. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's probably worth it.

I've been using my PowerBook as my sole DVD player for a while now (waiting for Blu-Ray prices to drop...damn them), and I'm growing sick of it. I've heard good things about Panasonic, and the one that's currently topping the chart at Amazon has gotten nice reviews.

5. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Yes!

I had an old Sony DVD player (not even progressive scan) hooked up to a 1080p and it was unwatchable. I bought the Sony upscaling DVD player for $80 and hooked it up with an HDMI cable ($8 with an $8 rebate from newegg.com) and the difference is amazing.

I highly recommend the Sony DVP-NS77H/S 1080p Upscaling DVD Player with HDMI Output. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SDPDU6

I don't know what difference it would make for a 720p, but come on, for that price with a cheap HDMI it's less expensive then a progressive scan DVD player and quality component video cables. I've heard that when it comes to HDMI cheap is the same in quality as expensive. I'm a believer.

But if you have a playstation 3 then you are set ...

6. srt42b macrumors newbie

It may be worthless too quickly. The way the price of HD-DVD players are going, can almost pick one up for the same price if you shop around. Also some TV's will do this automatically, so you might check that as well...

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

why buy something that is failing. blue-ray has unofficially won the war