Should I get Apple Care for my 2016 MBP with Touchbar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Dec 25, 2016.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

This is only my second Mac ever. I upgraded from a 2010 Air. I got Apple Care on the Air and never used it and it felt like a waste of money. Thoughts? Also, what is the cheapest place to get Apple Care, if you guys convince me to get it?

2. BBD90 macrumors member

hell yes. It's a first gen product of a major redesign. You dont know what kind of stuff may pop up later on.

3. Tomisawesome macrumors newbie

Tomisawesome

In my personal opinion, I would wait until the end of your 12 months (since you can purchase AppleCare at any point within this time), then if you or anyone else have had issued in the first 12 months, it might be worth it since most problems will arise within this time period

4. jeff_in_MD macrumors newbie

All extended warranties are a waste of money if you never use it. If you just want hardware not software Square Trade and probably others might be worth checking out.

5. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

You can wait till close to end of the first year before getting it.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes. New design, and there have been a number of issues, to say nothing of what may turn up down the road.

7. Salaryman Ryan macrumors member

Salaryman Ryan

Its a nesseary evil especially for portables. When I find myself in need of a repair I find Apple always accommodating.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I definitely would, tis a gen 1 product and we have no ideas of how things will work after 1 year.

9. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Waiting to buy Apple Care at the last minute before the original warranty has expired has no advantage, and cuts you out of 9 months of free telephone support.

10. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

How often do people actually use the telephone support? Serious question. Is it like "hi Apple, where is the "any" key?"

What would you ask them that Google couldn't realistically provide? Or is that safety cushion geared towards grandparents or something?

Also, I have a 2016 tMBP 15"...I would need the first one here, right? B&H always seems to be cheaper than anyone. Does "auto-enroll" mean they don't ship a box with the code? I got my MBP on Amazon.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Apple-Care/ci/19240/N/4100635868

11. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Absolutely not. A waste of money. Anything from the new design would be cover anyway from the 1 year limited warranty . Who cares about the 9 month telephone technical support. More info on this forum. Few will benefit from AppleCare Except Apple! I have spent so much money on extended warranty and NEVER used.

12. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

Does AppleCare replace it if it falls and breaks?

13. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

As far as I know, accidental damage is not covered.

14. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I bought a 2012 15" retina MBP shortly after they were released. It was the first gen of the last major redesign. I bought AppleCare with it and it worked out because just after one year my screen developed bad image retention and needed to be replaced. It would have been a much larger cost if I didn't have AppleCare.

I'd recommend getting it, especially as it is a first generation of a redesign. There is no guarantee that any problems will show up within one year of purchase. It could happen 13 months or two years later. I usually buy AppleCare for all my Apple products because for me it's worth the cost in case something does happen. I've had to use it a few times (including twice on my Thunderbolt Display) and have never regretted purchasing it, even if it went unused.

15. mikeborgh, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017

mikeborgh macrumors newbie

mikeborgh

Apple has updated the AppleCare+ policy and now requires the purchase to be within 60 days (not 12 months) and may run remote diagnostics prior to activation.

See below:
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/AC_PLUS_MB-AUTO/applecare-plus-for-macbook-macbook-air

16. xsdogs72 macrumors newbie

xsdogs72

17. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I would say no.

Actual repairs from Apple Care are extremely difficult to make happen in real life. You just get the runaround. Hours on the phone. Excuses. They don't actually fix the machine, in my experience. It's an incredibly bad system.

18. PBz macrumors 65816

PBz

I have always had amazing service with AC & AC+. Even my horrible keyboard was shipped/repaired/returned in 3 days. .. ignoring the issue of depot having bad parts. But I have always been happy with AC/AC+.

19. czerney macrumors member

I buy it with every product - I've always had a top notch experience from total iphone replacement stemming from a cracked screen which was MY fault and a full screen replacement on a MBP. That said in the last 6 years of owning apple products I've only used it once.

But even if you don't use it, when it comes time to sell and upgrade the buyer gets the peace of mind knowing the device has covered. I typically resell within the final year of applecare.

20. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I have fire insurance on my house, but it never burned down. What a waste of money!

21. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

Haha - this is true... I've gotten it on my machines, and not had to use it to this point - however there have been issues within the first year before, so I suppose being able to extend that care out further certainly has the potential to be pretty useful. It's not as if the likelihood will drop the older it gets, but I suppose that's why it's an odds game in the end.