Should I Get Applecare For My MB? Any other options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamIchi, May 12, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It's almost been a year since my purchase of my Macbook. I haven't had any problems with it and I hope it stays that way, but I thought it's probably good that I get some insurance.

Beside Applecare what are my other options? Or should I just get Applecare?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Check eBay. I got AppleCare for my MacBook for $155.

3. himansk macrumors regular

i got applecare for mbp for 190$ shipped and for my gf's mb for 160$ shipped from ebay sellers.

4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Oooo Good to know! Good thing I came here first. I was lookin at the Applecare page on Apple's site.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I got mine yeaterday and registered it online. No problems. Just make sure the seller has a previous history of good AppleCare sales.

6. ebs16 macrumors newbie

I insure my laptop with Safeware. I've completely destroyed my computer twice and they paid for the repairs both times without issue. A friend of mine had them buy him a new computer to replace one that he dropped. Safeware appeals to me as a student because they cover theft, a major issue on campuses and a shortcoming on most store and manufacturer extended care plans. Their service is not as comprehensive as AppleCare, but at $40-$60 a year, you can't go wrong.

7. PDE macrumors 68020

If you bought it with a gold or platinum credit card, chances are you're automatically covered for another year through your credit card company - the same coverage as Apple's first year of warranty, minus the tech support. And, if you're lucky your VISA credit card allows you buy something called visa performance guarantee. It's an extended warranty that is cheaper, more hassle-free and I think more flexible than applecare. Check with you bank. I've used this many many times and it's the best kept 'secret' in the credit card business! Highly recommended.

8. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

In any case, just be sure to look at eBay for AppleCare sales.. you'll save a good amount if you do compared to the Apple Store. Good luck!