Should i get AppleCare plus on my 2019 15” MacBook Pro?

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I bought this device in excellent like new condition as an open box at an Apple authorized retailer. It was considered over the 60 days. The device was purchased in August of 2019. Due to the large amount of Apple devices I have they said they would make an exception and let me purchase it if I want for a one time purchase of $379. Is it worth it? This machine also has an i9 and 512gb of ssd so I intend to probably keep it for awhile. Other than the potential keyboard issues are there any other issues I need to be worried about?

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I bought this device in excellent like new condition as an open box at an Apple authorized retailer. It was considered over the 60 days. The device was purchased in August of 2019. Due to the large amount of Apple devices I have they said they would make an exception and let me purchase it if I want for a one time purchase of $379. Is it worth it? This machine also has an i9 and 512gb of ssd so I intend to probably keep it for awhile. Other than the potential keyboard issues are there any other issues I need to be worried about?
Apple makes money on Apple Care, which means the average person gets less value out of it than the cost.

That said, it's pretty easy for a repair to cost a lot more than $379 a few years down the road (assuming you intend to keep your machine for awhile). So it all comes down to your comfort level with risk. If, say 2.5 years from now, your machine needs a new mainboard for $795, are you ok paying it (or buying a new machine), or do you want to pay $379 now, perhaps for no reason, in order to get peace of mind.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I always get AppleCare+. Everything is so tightly packaged with new systems that you can't really repair anything on these machines any more. So if you do need something fixed it can be expensive and potentially timely. Also, it appears to be that have the AppleCare+ insurance makes it easier for them to give you a new system rather than go through a lengthy repair.

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Are repairs really expensive on this machine without apple care plus?
Depends what needs repair. A broken screen is close to $600 starting. A bad keyboard, battery, or keyboard is $199 and all 3 and the top part of the case, usually get repaired at once since they are glued and screwed together.

venom600

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Get it because nothing on this machine is user replaceable. Back when you could swap out an HD, or RAM, or in some cases even a processor, I didn't find it necessary. Now that a bad SSD means a new logic board and a new battery means a new top case, I can't imagine not having it. If you sell the computer before it is over, you can get the balance refunded.

Reactions: Jacoblee23

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Thank you everyone. I purchased it. It's nice not to have to worry about it now.