Should I get AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mavrack, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

Hi guys, back when I bought my MBP I decided to get the BestBuy protection plan (Bad move I know) instead of Applecare based on what the Apple rep that was based there told me. So about two or three months after I bought it I noticed there was a lot of dust underneath the screen. Took it to BestBuy and smugly told me that it is nothing and that Apple wouldn't even look at it and even if they repaired it it would take 4-6 weeks to repair. So I take it to the Apple store, Genius takes one look at it and says it's clearly defective and repairs it free of charge under the one year warranty and the repair time was 3 days. Overall I was amazed with the great customer service I received there. So around a month ago a dead pixel appeared so I took it to the Apple Store yesterday, and once again received astounding customer service. Genius spotted it immediately and my display was replaced within a hour of dropping it off :). Unfortunately my one year warranty with Apple is up in April and then I will be stuck with BestBuy care... I read that I am able to buy Applecare within the first year, so should I get Applecare even though I have Bestbuy care? Or just tough it out? Thanks.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Get it.

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Apple's customer service is a 1,000,000x better than Best Buy's. You've already witnessed this first hand.

And seeing that you already bought an extended warranty in the first place you obviously value the benefit of added protection/peace of mind they provide. Not to mention that you already had to take advantage of your warranty once already.

I would recommend you get the AppleCare. And also see if you can get a portion of a refund back on that Best Buy warranty. Often you can get a prorated refund for the unused portion of an extended warranty (although its Best Buy, so who knows).

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare
    AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
    • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
    • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
      It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
    • AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. When a Mac changes hands, the AppleCare coverage still applies to the computer. There is no need to "register" the new owner in order to receive coverage.
    • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
    • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
    • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
    • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
    • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

As to whether AppleCare is worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides, with roughly 75% saying it's worth it. You really need to decide if it's worth it to you. If you want more information, you can search the forum, where you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of threads asking "is AppleCare worth it?" The overall consensus seems to be about 75% in favor of it.

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

No - just use your BB warranty. Anything major they will take care of. It's already paid for.

6. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

When I had a problem with an open box item from best buy I learned the geek squad is the clueless squad. I was within my 30 days so I returned GS and got AppleCare.

If you really want piece of mind, get AppleCare.

7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

You should be able to receive a pro rata refund for your Best Buy protection plan. Use it to buy AppleCare.

Best Buy's warranties are good, but only on things they are likely to replace outright rather than try to repair (i.e. their phone exchange service is excellent and replacements usually arrive within a day). Having worked in customer service for one of their PC repair depots I can safely say you do not want them fixing your computer.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I love having it. But thats just me.

I would definitely recommend getting it though. Piece of mind. If something like the logic board goes you'll be happy you did.

9. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

I won't buy an Apple computer without it.

I've owned 7 different Macs over the years and rarely needed my Apple Care. But when I did, it paid for itself & then some.

10. scwilder macrumors newbie

I would get it.

My trackpad on my MBP died literally the day after my one year warranty would have expired if I had not bought AppleCare. It was replaced in about 45 minutes. Since then, Apple has replaced my keyboard/top case twice, the entire screen/hinge mechanism and the clutch cover, a faulty battery, and the logic board (that's the big one) all for free. All told, the free repairs have equaled the cost of my original computer.

Quick anecdote: I brought it in the day that my AppleCare expired with a laundry list of things that was wrong with it -- I had clearly dropped my computer as my optical drive slot was bent, my keys were sticky from a soda accident, and the hinges on my screen were probably broken and loose (Before you judge me, I use my computer for research at a children's hospital. Accidents tend to happen). I dropped it off Tuesday night and the Genius guy that logged it in said that they would sent it to the repair center, but not to get my hopes up because of all the obvious drop and liquid damage. I was totally fine with having to pay for the damages since...let's be honest...I had damaged it. On Friday, my laptop showed up at my work with everything completely fixed. For free.

I realize that this is not usual service and that whoever fixed my computer did me a huge favor, but that would definitely never happen with a Best Buy warranty.

11. eezacque Guest

It depends on whether the laws of your country protect you as a buyer. In North America, I bought Apple Care, in The Netherlands, I wouldn't even consider it...

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Depends… your first year is entitled to Apple covered support already. Perhaps that's sufficient to iron out any issues with your computer.

I bought the Best Buy protection for one of my cameras… the guy literally said I just smash it right before the end of the protection to get a new camera. I decided to skimp the "factory" extended warranty since it was more expensive and didn't cover anything really except warranty items. :p

13. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Yes!!! No question. You should. For yourself and resale value. You can transfer it and that helps on eBay.

14. Mavrack thread starter macrumors member

Mavrack

Thank you so much for the replies guys! I think I am going to purchase AppleCare. What are some good places to get it at that sell it cheaper than Apple?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. Mavrack thread starter macrumors member

Mavrack

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

B&H is cheaper than Apple and they are reputable.

18. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Only place to buy if you life in the US - IMHO

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except for if you live in Florida ;)

20. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I think your recent experience alone is enough reason to buy AppleCare.

21. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Truth!

22. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I understand the need for AppleCare for the MacBook. But would you say the same for an iMac? I have a few days left to purchase it, but I didn't know if it was needed. I mean it just sits there...

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not? Manufacturing defects can occur with either model.

24. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

That's true... I've just been leaning back and forth on buying it. I most likely will, I was wondering if it was as necessary as buying it for a MacBook. That's all. I guess I'd find out if she starts acting funny and I didn't buy it.

25. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Totally worth it. Apple Care will pay for its self over the 3 year span, from my own experience. On my old 2009 MacBook Pro I had several repairs over the years costing $300+, I paid $150 for apple care. The Price was totally justified