Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
If I don't buy it with a MBP, what type of warranty do I get with the MBP? Can I take it to an Apple Store, and does Apple allow me to mail it to them for free? If I do get AppleCare, what do I get? Free Replacements?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
AppleCare adds 2 years to your original Mac warranty. You have to purchase it within 1 year of purchasing the Mac. You can usually take it to the Apple Store. They will repair it.

pratap21

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2008
You should buy applecare from ebay for less than half the price!

Add-in live.com (bing) cashback and its around 110$

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
If I don't buy it with a MBP, what type of warranty do I get with the MBP? Can I take it to an Apple Store, and does Apple allow me to mail it to them for free? If I do get AppleCare, what do I get? Free Replacements?

YES GET APPLECARE its worth it & for peace of mind alone, you're spending big bucks on the laptop, whats another 100+ incase something breaks?

Read this for all your answers :) APPLECARE

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL

AppleCare is an extended warranty (from 1 year to 3 years). You get the same service as the regular warranty; something fails, they fix the failed part. It will not cover cosmetic issues, regular wear, or user induced failures. You drop it, your problem.

Avoid third-party warranties.

Personally, I do not buy extended warranties. Most parts that I have had fail for computers fail within the regular warranty period. In addition, I buy pretty much everything with my American Express Gold Card, which extends warranties up to an additional year without any additional cost (other than the Amex membership fee).

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
Well now that I know that I get 1 year with it, that's somewhat reassuring. I'm already spending enough money on this notebook, and I know a warranty would be safe, I'll probably buy the warranty towards the end of the 1 year warranty.

opera57

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Personally its a must for all my apple computers, my cousin has a 2.5 year old macbook pro which was working fine, and all of a sudden stopped working and needed a new logic board which would have been very pricey! It also helps with resale value (for example if you want to sell in 2 years time), as people would rather buy a 2nd hand mac that still has a warranty.
signature_apple1.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'd strongly recommend Applecare, for peace of mind - it extends the original year long warranty for a further two years, as long as you buy it anytime within that first year - and also, because Apple honours its warranties, which is one of the reasons I switched to Apple computers.

The cost of repairs will easily exceed that of Applecare, should anything go wrong while you are out of warranty. I have a 15" MBP and I have Applecare on it.

Cheers and good luck

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England
Yes. Just a note, if your getting it with a student discount, in the UK at least, its £40 when buying with the notebook, otherwise its £200. So if your a student, make sure you buy it at the same time as the notebook.

AnotherFanBoy

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
Definitely get AppleCare, this can't be stressed enough.

With the normal warranty you get 90 days phone support and 1 year parts and labour. The AppleCare extends this to 3 years.

For the price, it is definitely worth it.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
in addition to the piece of mind issue addressed by others above, applecare provides you with another benefit: perfection. I recently discovered little bits of dust behind my display. They fixed the display but ever so slightly stripped the screws in the process. I just sent the computer back to apple for new screws. Now, when I sell my macbook pro, it's going to be in perfect condition, which will make up for the price of applecare.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
yes, get it....i buy mine on ebay (make sure you get the actual box not just a code--apparently there is a scam going around and you will be screwed if you don't have the actual box & code)....amazon.com is also cheaper.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
yes, get it....i buy mine on ebay (make sure you get the actual box not just a code--apparently there is a scam going around and you will be screwed if you don't have the actual box & code)....amazon.com is also cheaper.

Actually I've always wondered about the box. I got AppleCare with my MacBook when I bought it, and they mailed me some AppleCare CDs, but I never got a box or anything. Is that normal?

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I highly recommend getting an AppleCare extended warranty. Their service is amazing and it will help the computer's resale value.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Nobody has mentioned so far that AC only covers non-accidental damage. If the hard drive dies on its own, it gets replaced. If you drop your machine and the hard drive breaks, you won't get anything.

Some insurance packages from third party stores outside Apple have better cover on this. You also have your home owners insurance that covers accidental damage, drops and stolen hardware. Also the age factor when value is reduced after age varies from insurance to insurance. Every insurance adds to a complete package. Apple Care is not the only one out there, but it's world wide.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
Can you recommend a good seller on eBay for AppleCare? More than half price, that's great!

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Unless you don't plan on keeping your notebook longer then a year, Apple Care is a near must have. While Apple has never had to replace anything big, I've gone through countless batteries and power chargers that easily paid for itself.

hisboyelroy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Austin, Texas

A word of warning about buying AppleCare from non Apple authorized resellers...

I've purchased multiple AppleCare agreements for my iMac, various MacBooks and iPods over the years on eBay and saved quite a bit of money, and they all worked just fine. BTW...I always buy the boxed product. However, if you plan on selling your AppleCare warrantied product to someone else, say on eBay, and plan to transfer an AppleCare agreement purchased on eBay to the new buyer, Apple absolutely will not transfer the AppleCare agreement to the new owner. They require "proof of purchase" which, they say, only is the actual, copied or scanned receipt from an authorized reseller of Apple products. This is different than the "proof of coverage" they email to you after you register your AppleCare agreement. After going round and round with Apple about this and emailing them my PayPal receipt for the AppleCare agreement purchased on eBay, their final email to me read, "Your request was denied because the receipt does not reflect the original retail purchase. eBay is not an authorized reseller of Apple products."

So, while I still think buying boxed AppleCare agreements on eBay is a good way to save money, just do so knowing that Apple will not transfer the agreement to a second owner. I suspect an Amazon.com purchased agreement would transfer since they are likely an authorized Apple reseller. You can still save some money buying through Amazon.

Also, I should mention that I don't know that failing to transfer the ownership of the AppleCare agreement to a second owner is all that important as it seems Apple seems to recognize that an AppleCare agreement sticks with the actual covered hardware for the duration. I've used my AppleCare agreements for various hardware replacements or repairs and have yet to be asked to verify that I was the registered owner of the AppleCare agreement.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
A word of warning about buying AppleCare from non Apple authorized resellers...

I've purchased multiple AppleCare agreements for my iMac, various MacBooks and iPods over the years on eBay and saved quite a bit of money, and they all worked just fine. BTW...I always buy the boxed product. However, if you plan on selling your AppleCare warrantied product to someone else, say on eBay, and plan to transfer an AppleCare agreement purchased on eBay to the new buyer, Apple absolutely will not transfer the AppleCare agreement to the new owner. They require "proof of purchase" which, they say, only is the actual, copied or scanned receipt from an authorized reseller of Apple products. This is different than the "proof of coverage" they email to you after you register your AppleCare agreement. After going round and round with Apple about this and emailing them my PayPal receipt for the AppleCare agreement purchased on eBay, their final email to me read, "Your request was denied because the receipt does not reflect the original retail purchase. eBay is not an authorized reseller of Apple products."

So, while I still think buying boxed AppleCare agreements on eBay is a good way to save money, just do so knowing that Apple will not transfer the agreement to a second owner. I suspect an Amazon.com purchased agreement would transfer since they are likely an authorized Apple reseller. You can still save some money buying through Amazon.

Also, I should mention that I don't know that failing to transfer the ownership of the AppleCare agreement to a second owner is all that important as it seems Apple seems to recognize that an AppleCare agreement sticks with the actual covered hardware for the duration. I've used my AppleCare agreements for various hardware replacements or repairs and have yet to be asked to verify that I was the registered owner of the AppleCare agreement.

I purchased a used Mac with Applecare and only needed to tell them the previous owner's name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.