Should I get back protector for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xRaZor912, Nov 13, 2013.

1. xRaZor912 macrumors newbie

Should I get the back protector for the iPhone 5? Or should I just leave it? I'm currently using a screen protector.

2. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

ask yourself that question. then come back with the answer.

3. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

That's quite rude

Anyway, it really is a matter of personal opinion, nobody can give you an answer about what you should or shouldn't do with your own phone.

I have one on my 5, sometimes i use it caseless, but even when i don't it's nice to have the piece of mind that the phone won't get scratched by dust/dirt finding its way into the case

4. slapppy macrumors 65816

I do. I use my iP5S naked and sometimes I just leave it on my desk as is. I can see immediately the notices and type right on the screen easily without having to pick it up.

I did that with my iP4 for years. It kept the back pristine, scratch and scuff free while keeping the look and use of the iPhone for use as intended.

5. theshark545, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

theshark545 macrumors newbie

I use this and it is great

I use this cover and it is great because it is very thin and lite so I don't feel that I have cover but it saved my ip5 many times and it is very cheap

http://bit.ly/1gOhkSz

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Yes. The plastic top and bottom where it meets the aluminum are prone to scuffing over time, especially if you're not careful when putting it down. A back protector will prevent this.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

This. And if it will give you peace of mind, there are cheap shields on eBay specifically for the back.

8. RenoG macrumors 65816

This^^

But keep in mine the reality of these plastic shield like covers. It's plastic so it's soft and prone to scratch easily thus leaving you phone looking beat so you're going to be spending money on them over and over again to keep it looking fresh. Fact is your phone will NEVER look and scratch as bad the plastic screen protectors.

9. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

That's blatantly false, I'm sorry but have you ever actually seen a scratched up iphone in person? It's not a pretty sight, I'd rather spend a few bucks every 6-9 months and save my phone from scratching

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I just kept the original plastic on the back and trimmed the tab. No additional $$ spent.

11. RenoG macrumors 65816

Yes I have. Have you seen a cracked one? I'm sure you have, seeing that iPhones have been around since 2007. Now that that's out of the way...
    Do I really have to explain why plastic will scratch way before your glass screen will?
    I'm not saying that it's impossible, I am saying that screen protectors will take more of your money than necessary because they have a weaker threshold than glass. I've been through this personally with three different phones.
    In one whole year I went through two pack of 10 sheets, my next phone I decided against them. And guess what after my full 2yr contract not one noticeable scratch on the bare glass. My point, buyer is to use discernment based his or her use case.

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

Two packs of 10 sheets? Not sure where you're getting your shields from but I use some relatively inexpensive ones, 2-3 shields a year. Despite what the next buyer may feel, any micro scratches during ownership would drive ME crazy.