Should I get Best buys warrantee

Discussion in 'iPad' started by paulbaker99, Mar 5, 2012.

1. paulbaker99, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

paulbaker99 macrumors newbie

I am going to be geting my ipad 3 at best buy. i plan on keeping it for two years before i get a new one. What do you think of there 2-Year Accidental
    Protection Plan? is it worth it or not ?

2. DenisAuermann macrumors regular

DenisAuermann

Hmm

I don't think you should get it. One year is fine. Apple builds very durable hardware, so far i haven't had any problems with their products. Depends what kind of person you are, if you think you can take of it enough you shouldn't get it

3. seeharrison macrumors regular

seeharrison

I would purchase AppleCare over the Best Buy protection plan.

4. Emoo macrumors regular

My family usually does for laptops, smartphones, or any mobile devices, but only twice did we need to use it.

It really depends on whether you feel fine without it, or whether the peace of mind it brings is worth the cost. Personally, I'm more comfortable getting some sort of accidental warranty for any portable devices, but I'm looking into Squaretrade for about half the price for the iPad3.

5. irod87 macrumors regular

If you want the peace of mind of accidental coverage for 1 or more years then yes.

6. Gregintosh, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012

Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I have owned an iPad since the original, and I never dropped it. Thats not to say that it can't happen or won't happen in the future.

But as far as I know, you can pay a place $100 or $150 and get the glass replaced, maybe even cheaper if you do it yourself and buy the parts on eBay.

What you notice from many warranties is that when you add up the cost of the repair itself and consider the chances of the worst case scenario happening anyway, you are basically pre-paying for a repair you may not need. And after 2 years, whether you used it or not, that money is gone.

Where as if something happens, you only pay if you need it. Good chance you won't need it at all. And the few times you get lucky will more than pay for the rare occasion when you need to pay out of pocket for a repair.

I'd also add that for something critical like a phone, which you can't be without if you use it for business, it may be worth getting the accidental damage just to get a replacement quicker. But for an iPad, unless you are going to rely on it, there may be little harm in waiting a few days for a part or for a shop to fix it.

7. hitekalex1 macrumors newbie

hitekalex1

I would get insurance. Apple care is pretty good. It sounds nice too.

8. WLS macrumors 65816

Short answer No.

Better off just buying a new one each year and having the 1 year warranty.

9. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I agree, and I buy a new one every year. But even if the OP doesnt wanna buy one everyone, well its not like its written somewhere that once the warranty expires the device will die. So even if you plan to keep it longer, you don't really NEED a warranty.

10. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I would say AppleCare, but here's the thing: SquareTrade is cheaper, covers more circumstances (accidental damage sort of stuff), and the way it works with them is that you take your iPad to an Apple Store to get fixed and send SquareTrade the bill, then get reimbursed.

I've never had to use it, but after much research and comparing I went with the SquareTrade coverage on my iStuff.

11. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

I actually would recommend it. I work for best buy and the way they handle the ipad warranties is really great. Technically they are suppose to go for what geek squad calls a rapid exchange which means they get sent out and you get a refurbished one back in a couple of days usually less then 4. They cover cracks drops spills pretty much anything except negligence. However, what usually happens is they don't have them available for a rapid exchange and you get an exchange for a new one right on spot.... To make it even better. Let's say you broke the screen on your ipad 2 three months from now. They won't have the ipad 2's available anymore and you will get an ipad 3 at no extra charge except you have to repurchase the warranty if you want.

I saw this happen all the time last year with people who had broken iPad 1's and they got a brand new ipad 2.

Again just want to point out this isn't a guarantee but I have been working in Geek Squad for 3 years now and this is how it always happens at my store.

12. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Im going to go with AppleCare+

13. esanker macrumors newbie

As a general rule, you should buy the warranty from the manufacturer not from the store where you bought the item.

14. paulbee macrumors member

I think I'm going to start doing what Lifehacker has suggested: whenever offered a chance to buy an extended warranty/accidental damage protection, decline it, but take the money you would have paid and put it in a fund to replace damaged/dead equipment. That way you aren't paying the insurance company for coverage you're unlikely to use, but when something does break, you'll already have money set aside to cover it.

I fell with my iPhone 4 in my hand and shattered it. Apple replaced it for free, but right after that I signed up for insurance on my replacement. That insurance is about to run out, and I don't think I'll renew it. It's not worth $100/year, plus a $50 deductible, when the cost for out-of-warranty service at an Apple store is just $200.

Likewise, as you can see here, in the U.S. out-of-warranty service for the iPad or iPad 2 (16GB/wifi) is $269; iPad 3 is likely to be the same. That will cover most things you do to it, including water damage; it excludes catastrophic damage (device is broken into multiple pieces) and unauthorized modifications. For me, it's probably worth the risk of having to pay that much for a repair in the unlikely event that I break the device, instead of spending money on insurance that I'll also be trying very hard not to use. The only real upside I can see to the insurance is that your policy might replace multiple broken devices within a single year, but you'd have to have pretty low expectations for taking care of your iPad for that to be a factor.

15. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I used to work to Best Buy as well...I worked in mobile and BTP was painful. LOL.

First off, to OP, and fender maybe you'll be able to back me up here - but do your research. Whoever is trying to sell you BTP will always try and make it seem nice. There are some honest people out there, there are some "must make sales" people out there, there are also some dumb people out there. They will say things to try and make you buy BTP. The most common line: "Yup! It covers everything!"

BTP, at least for cell phones, with ADH always has "fine print". For starters, it covers cracked screens and water and stuff, yes. Water submersion is not covered, so if, for some reason, you drop your iPad into the pool or a toilet or something, it's not covered.
    Now this can be avoided. If such a thing were to happen, you could easily say "oh, I spilled my water on it", and it will be covered under ADH. So whatever you do to the iPad, just say water spilled on it. A sales associate may say "yeah we cover water damage", but "water damage" is a pretty broad term, apparently (for BBY). Spills that lead to water damage = covered. Submersion/falling into some liquid = not water damage covered by BBY.

Second, yes, instead of the old method of sending a device out to repair, you have rapid exchange now. You bring it in, and if the damage is covered, you get a refurbished device mailed to your home or in store for you to pick up. It's your choice whether or not you want a refurb as a "new" unit.

Also, if your device gets ran over or anything or completely destroyed, don't tell an associate. Sometimes they'll shoot you down instantly and you can go to another store, sometimes a nice associate will tell you to change your story. And that's true. If a car runs over your iPad and you say you "fell" with your iPad in hand and it cracked, then a sales associate doesn't have a right to question you or investigate. My manager has told me before "oh, just put 'device fell from table' [in the Geek Squad report]". YMMV on this one. At my store, if you were a nice, patient, understanding customer, managers would help you send it in for repair. If you run into Best Buy all riled up and demand a repair, sorry...lol...don't expect one.

BTP does not cover loss or theft either. A sales associate will say "yeah, it covers everything!" and when you say you lost it, they'll say "Oh, it's a protection plan, not insurance" (I've had so many customers get pissed at my mobile manager for saying this). It isn't insurance...so just realize, any loss or theft is not covered (although I don't think AppleCare covers loss or theft either).

BTP has no deductible and you get unlimited claims. A benefit is that they offer monthly payments, so if you only want 6 months of protection under BTP, you can just pay 14.99 a month (idk if the price is right) and cancel whenever you want. They have discounted prices for 1 and 2 year plans as well. But if you cancel after say month 7, you cannot re-purchase BTP and expect to have BTP after month 15 and pay monthly again.

For me, it comes down to whether or not you are okay with getting a refurbished iPad back if you bring it in for repair.

For the "break iPad 2 screen, get an iPad 3", I've heard of such cases...it is possible, but I'm not 100% sure anymore. Because you get a refurb shipped from some DC somewhere, chances are they'll have iPad 2s for a while. Theoretically, you should be allowed to get an iPad 3 free of charge because the device for which you have BTP has reached EOL (end of life) status...I'm not 100% sure...I'd read this as an added bonus...don't let this make or break the deal.

Let me know if you have any questions...I've tried to cover what I realized most customers complained about (so many ****ing associates say "it covers everything" when it doesn't...). Cheers!

16. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

No way. From what I've heard from others, Best Buy's warranty process is one of the worst. If you really want one, I'd recommend something else, maybe Apple Care.

That being said, I am not one for warranties at all. I personally keep my products in like new, and the chances of me needing a repair are too low to justify buying a warranty.

17. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

AppleCare + is for the iPhone only, not the iPad as of right now. They might offer it, but to this date no word on it yet. If they do, it might be worth getting.

18. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Correct that made it more detailed of what I said. However on only phones you pay by month. iPads it is all up front. No monthly option also Like I said it does cover everything except negligence such as dropping it in a pool or running it over with a car. However If you don't tell the best buy employee what happened they can't really denie it unless it smells like cat urine (which has happened lol) or its like completely cracked half. Also location may matter regarding getting refurbished or new unit. my store in the Midwest (Indiana) all iPad 2 currently get exchanged in store where as iPad 1 now get refurbished exchanges.

Also it is common sence it won't cover theft or loss IMO and also getting upgraded is no guarantee.