Should I get Cellular or GPS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BomexM3, Aug 1, 2019.

1. BomexM3 macrumors member

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the market to get a AW4 and I don't know if I should spend the extra money to get a cellular version. Is having cellular worth it for those who have it? and if so how do you guys use the cellular version?

2. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

It’s been okay. A bit unreliable at times but definitely handy. Nice to know the weather or make a quick call if you don’t have your iPhone with you. I use it for notifications for work as well so it’s worth the $10/month for me.

3. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I use it for notifications but my phone is always on me. For me it’s not worth it

4. pojo1806 macrumors 68020

I am never without my phone so I got the GPS and saved £100.

5. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

If you want Stainless Steel, you don't get a choice!

6. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

I think it depends on your lifestyle. I don't always like carrying my phone with me, but want my wife or young kids to be able to get ahold of me in case they need me. The Cellular option was something I really looked forward to coming out and has served me very well. Most people I know get the non-cellular though as like many have said they always have their phone with them.

7. rmw49 macrumors newbie

I hardly ever take my iPhone out of the house. The Watch 4 is my first Apple Watch and I wanted Cellular from the word go. It does every thing I want. Lovely to have the heart monitor on a bike ride and the ride route at the end with speed and all details. Same with walking. Don't use the phone much so the odd calls are easily done on the Watch as is all my shopping with shopping list and paying afterwards. Notifications and messages all come through too so it's all there to hand. I was never tempted by a Watch before but, with the Cellular, it does everything I want and more. Just look forward to the day when an iPhone is no longer needed at all.

8. Itinj24 macrumors regular

Cellular is great for emergencies in case you lose, someone steals, iPhone runs out of battery or in my case, iPhone bricks/malfunctions out of nowhere requiring a trip to the Genius Bar.

Sure, you may always take your phone with you but sometimes unforeseen circumstances occur and you find yourself without a phone. This to me is worth more than gold.

9. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

I got cellular because I had credit from BB, otherwise I'd have gotten GPS. I usually have my phone with me so cellular isn't really a necessity for me. If you like not needing to have your phone with you, and you're in a good cell service location, maybe it's for you. Keep in mind the monthly cost of cellular service may/may not be a factor in your decision too.

10. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

Been said before, it's not $10.00/mo. It's $15.00 +/- with taxes. And, you may need a new cell plan. In my case, that would basically double my monthly plan to use a watch's cell service.

On the other hand, it does 911 without a plan, and I do stupid things at my age, so I have a LTE watch, just no cell plan.

11. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I had the SS cellular version with my Series 3. I went with LTE for my Series 4. I found that I really wasn't getting the additional benefits of paying extra for cellular on the Watch. However, everyone's usage case is different. If you don't want to always carry your phone with you, it can be worth it.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It comes down to one thing, can you justify the extra cost for the LTE service where you want the independency away from your iPhone? If you answered ‘Yes’ to this question, then I would opt for the LTE. If you said ‘I’m not sure/no’, then it’s not for you. Also, find out if your carrier will allow a free trial with the LTE, as sometimes they did offer this in the past.

13. jazz1 macrumors 68000

jazz1

I like my cellular version. But frankly it has been unreliable in accepting phone calls when my phone isn’t nearby. The watch shows an incoming call and I touch the screen over and over, and the call doesn’t connect. My main purpose of going cellular was not to have to have my phone nearby all of the time.

When it works sound both ways is excellent!

14. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Can relate - no call issues but sometimes notifications don’t arrive and on occasion texts don’t go through...

15. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I would give it a month and see if there will be an AW5. I had the Cellular Series 3 and now have the GPS Series 4. I don't notice a difference in how I use my watch.

16. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

If you get cellular, you can still dial 911 even without a cell plan.

17. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

Not to mention there's a monthly charge to be able to use your watch with cellular. I can definitely see scenarios where it would be very helpful but it's not for me.

18. RonFromOregon macrumors regular

I wanted both SBSS and the sapphire display, so cellular came along for the ride. Even if you don't have service activated on your Apple Watch, you can still use it to call 911 in an emergency. That's a comfort, at least.

19. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

As others have said it depends on your circumstances. I do things that if it goes wrong I might not be able to reach my phone. As far as paying for service, the other perks make it worth it, to me. With any purchase saving money upfront isn’t the best metric, divide the savings over how long you will own the product, and think about if the missing features might become important later on.

20. Itinj24 macrumors regular

It’s always better to have and not need than need and not have. Technology fails. I learned that when my iPhone bricked out of nowhere while driving. The chances of two devices failing simultaneously are in your favor. My wife was able to call me to pick up the kids when she was stuck in traffic. Had I not had a cellular Apple Watch, that call would’ve been missed and this is not a situation where a 911 call is warranted. The 15 bux or so a month (~.50/day) is irrelevant if it increases my chances of staying connected.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Side note:

With fall detection and LTE on the Series 4, it makes a perfect combination for the geriatric demographic. [Especially if they live alone.]

22. scmill macrumors regular

scmill

That's why I have it! Well, also, I wanted a new toy, too.

23. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 65816

TheSkywalker77

Personally, I'm getting a GPS only model, I just don't need the cellular connectivity since I always have my phone with me, but if you're trying to travel as light as possible and only want to take your watch with you then cellular is for you. :p

24. JT2002TJ macrumors 65816

My wife and I use cellular. I have GSS, she has SB AL. I'm debating turning cellular off, but there have been times it saved me. My phone popped out of it's mount when I hit a pothole on my motorcycle. The watch kept me intouch for the rest of the day until my Genius appointment that evening.

FYI, A friend of mine who rides a sportbike was out riding and apparently the fall detection decided that he fell while he was riding. He couldn't feel or hear the notification as he was riding. All his emergency contacts got his location messaged to them, and 911 got a call. His family knew he was out riding, and thought he was in an accident... He has since turned off fall detection...

25. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

I have two Series 4 Apple Watches, and have cellular plans on both. It’s $20 a month, but it’s great peace of mind. My iPhone is almost always with me, but at the office I leave it on my desk and there are parts of our suite that are beyond Bluetooth range. Unless you’re frequently separated from your iPhone, it’s a nice-to-have and not a need-to-have.