Should I get extra insurance for iP4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, Jul 18, 2010.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

Sitting here waiting for iP4 to be released in Sweden and thinking, is it worth buying an extra insurance for your phone? Since hearing several stories and people dropping their phones and getting cracks in the glass, which isn't really that surprising, I think that getting an extra insurance for iP4 is a good idea. But then of course...Usually they'll run you like $70/year and maybe around $200 in excess fee...

How much does it cost to switch out/repair the back glass of an iP4? If it's below $200 there's really no use in getting an extra insurance. It's the back glass that I'm worried about, nothing else really... :rolleyes:

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The best insurance is to put it in a case, I highly recommend this.

Next as for regular insurance, yes. I put mine on my home owners insurance as a rider. A one time payment of $25.00 covers it for everything drops, lost or stolen etc. You may want to look into this. Different companies have different rules and they change by states or countries, but it is a generally over looked inexpensive source for insuring personal electronics.

Too often companies that specialize in insuring mobile computing equipment charge way too much.

But yes do get some form of drop/loss etc insurance.

By the way the iP4 is well worth the wait, you'll love it.

3. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

What if the front glass breaks, its no where near as easy and cheap to replace, take out the insurance, sleep well.

4. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this is true but wasn't it iFixit who said that the front glass seemed to be Gorilla Glass but they were unable to confirm that the back glass was GG for some reason...

5. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgPXnKnN1vQ

I watched this on the launch day and was actually surprised it managed that amount of falls before it cracked but it looks like to me the front and back is just as fragile.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's not worth it unless you're a careless user. $70 per year for insurance? That's highway robbery.