Should I get imac G5 or powermac G5?

Winstonp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
I am expecting 600 for this ibook I have lying around, and I am considering selling the mini.

That puts me at a little over 1200$

I also have an 18'' LCD NEC monitor.

My basic needs are word processing, iphoto, browsing, and some gaming.

However, I want more screen real-estate.

Should I:
A: sell it all, save more money and buy a 20 inch imac
B. Sell the two computers, get a 17 inch imac, and run dual monitors with my current LCD
or
C. Sell the two computers, buy a powermac, and upgrade down the road?

What do you think is wise?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Winstonp said:
I am expecting 600 for this ibook I have lying around, and I am considering selling the mini.

That puts me at a little over 1200$

I also have an 18'' LCD NEC monitor.

My basic needs are word processing, iphoto, browsing, and some gaming.

However, I want more screen real-estate.

Should I:
A: sell it all, save more money and buy a 20 inch imac
B. Sell the two computers, get a 17 inch imac, and run dual monitors with my current LCD
or
C. Sell the two computers, buy a powermac, and upgrade down the road?

What do you think is wise?
I would go for option a) great screen and able to handle basic gaming. Unless you what upgradability and a better gaming machine which then go for the powermac.

Comes down to what you pefer most.

Comment

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
$600 for the ibook and you think you're getting $600 for the mini?
I would go for the 20" imac unless like the guy said above, do you want to be able to upgrade? then get the powermac.

Comment

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
20 inch iMac all the way! Have a look on this forum for some of the reasons why you can't taint an iMac by using an external monitor. Hideous! :eek:

Comment

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If you are talking abou a new Single Processor PowerMac -- they are the same maching (use the same iMac chipset/architecture.)

Except the SP PowerMac G5 gives you some upgrade options you will never have with the iMac G5. But the biggest one is 4 DIMM slots and an AGP card.

Memory is really important on G5s, and the GPU is probably on of the most requested upgrades on the iMac (which can't be done) -- but will prolong the life of the PowerMac far longer than the iMac.

The way things are going with Tiger, Core Image and similar technologies will all make the GPU something to look long and hard at...

Comment

jscheiman

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
Phoenix, Arizona
I would choose option A, for the uses you described, it seems to be a perfect fit. You'll get more monitor real estate as well as have everything all in the same encloseure.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.